Ecology and conservation of marine mammals, seabirds, and marine reptiles
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr James Waggitt
The module focuses on the biology, ecology and conservation of marine mammals, seabirds, and marine reptiles, including more complex topics such as ecosystem engineers, top down vs. bottom up drivers, movement ecology, cognition, ecosystem indicators, and climate change impacts.
To teach form and function (incl. evolution), life history, ecology, and physiology of the different groups of air-breathing marine vertebrates.
To highlight the ecological roles of top predators, and how the basic functional ecology, life history and behaviour have implications for animal-human interactions and marine conservation.
To allow students to carry out field observations of marine mammals and seabirds.
This module will consider the basic components of marine mammal, seabirds, and marine reptile biology and ecology. Specific topics will include: evolution and adaption, life history, ecological roles, movement ecology, survey techniques, and current conservation issues, highlighting the use of top predators as ecosystem indicators and engineers. Consideration will be given to the interaction between the ecology of these species and human activity by use of case studies from different areas, highlighting the interactions between life-strategies (e.g. breeding areas, foraging behaviour, migrations etc.) and direct (e.g. interactions with fisheries and tourism) and indirect (climate change) anthropogenic impacts.
This module will involve two field trips. On one field trip the students will visit a small grey seal breeding colony as well as observe California sea lions at the Welsh Mountain Zoo. Students will learn various survey techniques including photo-identification, theodolite tracking, focal follows and scan surveys of behavioural observations. On the other, students will gather data pertaining to probing and feeding success/behaviour of a range of seabirds and use this collected data to test hypotheses on seabird feeding ecology and write a scientific report.
Knowledge and basic understanding reliant entirely on the taught programme
Wider knowledge and moderate understanding based on the taught programme, but with evidence of enquiry beyond that
A very wide knowledge base extending well beyond the directly taught programme showing an in depth understanding of the concepts presented
Compare and contrast marine vertebrates (marine mammals, seabirds, and marine reptiles) with respect to their form, function, physiology, life history and foraging ecology
Be able to critically discuss, from a knowledge of the ecology, behaviour, life history and physiology of the organisms, the ecological roles of top predators and the current conservation issues facing these species
Carry out observational studies on marine vertebrates
To test hypotheses, analyze data and critically assess results
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
21 Lectures over the 10 teaching weeks
2 fieldtrips x 6h
2 x 2 hr computer workshops for data handling
Directed reading list of specific chapters of textbooks and scientific papers. Titles and pages will be provided on Blackboard
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Undertake field and/or laboratory studies of living systems.
- Undertake practical work to ensure competence in basic experimental skills.