Second Language Speech Learning
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Ms Meinir Williams
This module provides an overview of the difficulties second language (L2) learners are faced with when acquiring a new sound system. It introduces students to core issues in L2 perception and production of segments and prosody, gives an overview of the main theories and methodologies characteristic of the field, and discusses some of its fundamental problems and controversies.
• To broaden students’ understanding of current issues and controversies in this field of study.
• To develop students’ ability to critically evaluate current theories of L2 speech learning.
• To develop students’ awareness of the variables affecting degree of foreign accent.
• To develop students’ ability to collect and analyse data and design an experiment in this area of study.
Lectures will include:
- an overview of the field of L2 speech learning.
- introduction to the major concepts in the field.
- role of the first language.
- transfer; interlanguage.
- current L2 speech learning models.
- cross-language phonetic similarity.
- foreign accent and the factors involved in (un)successful learning.
- segmental and suprasegmental production and perception.
- implications for foreign language teaching.
Student has achieved the minimum acceptable standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all the learning outcomes. Student can demonstrate a minimum level of understanding of the basic concepts and be able to apply them to data with some degree of accuracy.
Student has achieved a better-than-average standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes, and has a clear and accurate understanding of concepts; ability to apply concepts to data critically and thoughtfully; evidence of wide reading and clear and accurate reference to source materials; free from misunderstanding and errors of content; free from irrelevant material.
Student has achieved a thorough standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes; or student has demonstrated an exceptional level of achievement in one or more learning outcomes together with a good overall standard: student has achieved a thorough understanding of the subject, both in terms of content and theory; student is able to apply concepts clearly and accurately; substantial evidence of critical and original thought and analysis; clear, logical argument; high level of communicative competence; free from irrelevant material and errors of spelling and punctuation; evidence of extensive reading beyond basic texts and clear and accurate references to source material.
Students will understand the main issues, concerns and controversies employed in this field of study
Students will be able to critically compare and evaluate the current theories and methodologies in L2 speech learning in light of existing evidence.
Students will be able to discuss the range of variables known to contribute to the degree of perception of foreign accentedness.
Students will be able to collect and critically analyse data and select an appropriate methodology for investigating specific L2 speech learning phenomena.
|Poster based Presentation||30.00|
|Research Report (3000 words)||70.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understanding of the nature of bi/multilingualism - students will demonstrate familiarity with phenomena and findings relating to the nature of bilingual and multilingual individuals and communities.
- Writing & scholarly conventions - students will be able to present data, argumentation, findings and references in written form in keeping with the conventions current in language science and English language studies.
- Analysis & interpretation skills - students will be able to analyse, interpret data accurately, and draw appropriate conclusions based on the application of appropriate analytic and theoretical frameworks available in linguistics and English language studies.
- Research skills - students will be able undertake independent research, involving formulating a research question, identifying and deploying appropriate linguistic methodology (theoretical or empirical) and data collection techniques (theoretical, experimental or field-based), and the selection and application of appropriate theoretical frameworks in order to adequately address the research question.
- Evaluation & reflection - students will be able to critically evaluate a particular position, viewpoint or argument in relation to a specific area of investigation. They will be able to reflect on the efficacy of a particular approach, practice or performance, and moderate these as a consequence in order to achieve specific goals.
- Independent investigation - students will develop the ability to plan, design and execute a significant piece of research or inquiry, either independently or as a member of a team in order to discover a specific solution to an outstanding issue or question through searching out and synthesizing written, visual and oral information. Students will also develop skills of independent investigation, including interacting with peers and subjects/informants.
- Fluency, confidence and proficiency in the use of English -students will demonstrate their ability and proficiency to use and understand and instruct others in English in a range of academic and classroom contexts.
- Effective communication - students will develop the ability to communicate effectively, appropriately and confidently, in a range of contexts, to different audience types, and making use of a range of supporting materials
- Learning to learn - students will learn to reflect, modify and improve their learning strategies
- Awareness of and appreciation for linguistic and cultural differences - students will develop an awareness of and an appreciation for the range and nature of linguistic and cultural diversity
- Proficiency in the use of English in reading, writing, speaking and/or listening - students will demonstrate proficiency in their ability to use and understand English in a range of different contexts and via different media.
- Understanding of the nature and organization of language - students will demonstrate familiarity with observations and findings relating to various aspects of linguistic phenomena and organization.
- Understanding the nature of commonalities and differences across languages - students will demonstrate familiarity with phenomena and findings relating to universals and diversity exhibited by and across languages.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxl-3318.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q102: MArts Bilingualism year 3 (MARTS/BILING)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T101: BA Chinese and Linguistics year 4 (BA/CHL)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- Q301: BA English Language year 3 (BA/EL)
- QQ3M: BA English Language & Cymraeg year 3 (BA/ELC)
- T123: BA English Language and Chinese year 4 (BA/ELCH)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 4 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 3 (BA/ELCW)
- Q310: BA Eng Lit with Eng Lang year 3 (BA/ELEL)
- QR3C: BA English Language and French year 4 (BA/ELFR)
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 3 (BA/ELFS)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 4 (BA/ELG)
- Q312: BA English Language (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/ELIE)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 4 (BA/ELIT)
- PQ54: BA English Lang & Journalism with International Experience year 3 (BA/ELJIE)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJO)
- 1Q3Q: BA Linguistics and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELL)
- QQC3: BA English Lang and Lit year 3 (BA/ELLIT)
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/ELLITF)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 3 (BA/ELMS)
- Q30P: BA English Language with Placement Year year 3 (BA/ELP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 3 (BA/ELPSY)
- LQ3J: BA English Lang. & Sociology year 3 (BA/ELSOC)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELSP)
- Q315: BA English Language for TEFL year 3 (BA/ELT)
- Q3Q2: BA English Language w English Lit year 3 (BA/ENGEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 3 (BA/FSELAN)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 4 (BA/ITL)
- Q1Q3: BA Ling with Eng Lit year 3 (BA/LEL)
- Q140: BA Ling & the Eng Lang year 3 (BA/LELA)
- QR11: BA Linguistics/French year 4 (BA/LFR)
- QR15: BA Linguistics and French with International Experience year 3 (BA/LFRIE)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 4 (BA/LG)
- Q100: BA Linguistics year 3 (BA/LING)
- Q104: BA Linguistics (with International Experience)) year 4 (BA/LINGIE)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 3 (BA/LP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 4 (BA/LSP)
- QQ31: BA Linguistics & the English Language with International Exp year 4 (BA/LWEL)
- LQ31: BA Sociology/Linguistics year 3 (BA/SL)
- QQ15: BA Cymraeg and Linguistics year 3 (BA/WL)
- Q105: MArts Linguistics with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/LIE)
- Q101: MArts Linguistics year 3 (MARTS/LING)