Speaking & Listening
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Andrew Salter
This module, available only to non-native speakers of English, aims to improve students ability to understand and be understood in academic listening and speaking contexts, with a view to enhancing their BU learning experience. The module includes a variety of academic speaking situations, such as presentations, seminars, team decision-making, negotiation and interview. It focuses on various aspects of spoken English, such as fluency, accuracy, stress and intonation, pronunciation, and expression of ideas. It also addresses the problems students face in listening to and understanding a range of spoken-English accents. Students are encouraged to develop personal strategies for dealing with difficulties in these situations. Students awareness of their spoken weaknesses is raised through analysis of their own utterances. This enables them to begin to address the correction of their own individual errors.
Course suitable for non native Speakers of English with an IELTS of less than 7.0
Pass 50% A student has achieved a good standard of English language competence in speaking and listening skills in coursework and examination related to the learning outcomes above (equivalent to IELTS 6.5). There are some inaccuracies and pauses in spoken English which cause occasional lapses in fluency. Pronunciation is of an acceptable standard and may be understood by an L1 English speaker with only occasional difficulty. There is evidence of ability to self-correct errors. A student may be reticent but makes reasonably effective contributions in speaking situations. Notes from listening are mostly relevant and complete, although there are some inaccuracies. A student has fairly effective listening strategies but has occasional difficulty in understanding spoken English in unfamiliar situations.
Excellent 70% A student has achieved an excellent standard of English language competence in speaking and listening skills in coursework and examination, related to the learning outcomes above (equivalent to IELTS 7.0 or above). Spoken English is fluent and accurate. Pronunciation is good and easily understood by a native English speaker. A student is able to self-correct errors and apply a range of strategies to aid communication. S/he contributes actively and confidently in a speaking situation and is able to identify, note and use key points from listening effectively. There is evidence of well-developed, effective listening strategies and a student is able to understand and follow spoken English in any situation with comparative ease.
On successful completion of this module, students will:
- Be able to speak confidently to an audience and respond to questions in appropriate English.
- Have developed strategies to be able to listen, understand and take notes in a variety of listening situations.
- Have developed their awareness of and strategies to improve their errors in spoken English.
- Have developed the strategies and language to enable participation in and contribution to a range of academic learning scenarios.
- Be able to recognise and understand the effect of tone, mood implication etc in a listening situation.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3BJ: MA Music with Education year 1 (MA/MUSED)