Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Dyfrig Jones
On this short practical documentary filmmaking short course you'll learn the creative principles and technical skills needed to produce a short documentary film. In addition you will engage with some of the theoretical and ethical questions related to documentary filmmaking.
You'll learn self-shooting skills, with a focus on shooting interviews, and on learning the fundamentals of observational filming. You'll also be given opportunities to explore alternative forms of documentary storytelling, using sound, still images and archive footage.
By the end of the module, you will have completed work on a documentary film of between 5-10 minutes in length, as will have written about the filmmaking process.
During the first half of the module students will be given formal instruction in both documentary theory and media practice. This part of the module will examine the ways in which theoretical viewpoints influence the work of practitioners. It will also give students instruction in some basic media production techniques. In addition, the workshop sessions held during the first part of the course will allow students to undertake pre-production work on their final projects, in consultation with the tutors.
During the second half of the semester, the emphasis of the module will shift, and the timetabled sessions will be used to provide advice and guidance to students on the developments of their documentary film projects.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Very Good (60%+)
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Demonstrate an understanding of the processes by which documentaries are produced
Demonstrate technical skill in one aspect of a documentary media production
Critically examine the process of media production in relation to documentary theory
Demonstrate an understanding of the collaborative nature of documentary media production
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Portfolio||
A portfolio of creative work, normally consisting of a short documentary film (or other documentary media), accompanied by relevant supporting documentation.
Essay discussing an aspect of documentary media theory as it relates to the process of producing a media artefact
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
During the workshop the module tutors will work closely with students to examine creative work that they have produced or are in the process of producing, Tutors will provide feedback on any work that has been completed, and guidance on how to improve and develop any work in progress.
During the first half of the semester, lectures will focus on instruction, with the module tutors providing information about key aspects of documentary film production. During the second half of the semester, the lecture will become more interactive in nature, and allow students to discuss the development of their work with the tutors and with each other.
During the private study periods, students will spend time researching, preparing and writing their essays, as well as on the pre-production, production and post-production elements of their film practice.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/uxs-2057.html
Reading list already exists in Talis - Documentary Filmmaking
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/FSCH)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 2 (BA/FSEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 2 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 2 (BA/FSFR4)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 2 (BA/FSGER)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 2 (BA/FSH)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/FSI)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 2 (BA/PWF)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 2 (BA/WHFS)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 2 (MARTS/CP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 2 (BA/CPW)
- W89P: BA Creative and Professional Writing with Placement Year year 3 (BA/CPWP)
- W899: BA Creative & Professional Writing with International Exp year 3 (BA/CRIE)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- QWM5: BA Cymraeg, Theatr a'r Cyfryngau year 2 (BA/CTC)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 2 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/FLMP)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FSIE)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/FSTP)
- P35W: Film Stud with Theatre & Performance with International Exp. year 2 (BA/FSTPIE)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 2 (BA/J)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 2 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/JMS1)
- PP54: BA Journalism & Media Studies with International Experience year 2 (BA/JMSIE)
- PP5P: BA Journalism and Media Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/JMSP)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 2 (BA/MCWIE)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 2 (BA/MEN)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 2 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/MSP)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/MSSOC)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 2 (BA/PWM)