Composition Year 2
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Pwyll ap Sion
- To study the compositional techniques of a variety of musical periods, and to apply the lessons learned to the composition of original musical works;
- To consider aesthetic, philosophical and musicological issues of relevance to composition, and to explore the implications of these through the act of composing;
- To develop facility in a variety of compositional techniques through the study of those techniques in detail;
- To encourage bold experimentation and creative innovation in composition work;
- To offer experience composing in non-tonal styles (pre-tonal, post-tonal, atonal), and using new approaches to form;
- To contribute to the personal development of student composers through the development of their creativity as individuals.
This module seeks to build on Level 4 (year 1) Composition (WXK/WXC1011), while at the same time introducing new ideas and techniques. Throughout, the emphasis will be on introducing students to a variety of styles and techniques that have emerged during the second half of the 20th century and the first decade of the 21st. This may include bold experimentation and creative innovation, including working with non-tonal styles (pre-tonal, post-tonal, atonal, noise, sound, silence), or the study of avant-garde, post-tonal and post-minimal, and or post-dogma styles of more recent decades. The module will also lay the foundation for undertaking Composition Projects during Year 3.
The module will also lay the foundation for undertaking Composition Projects during Level 6 (year 3).
The composition displays some limited creative imagination, with restricted control of musical materials, and minimal understanding of the capabilities of resources (instrumental and vocal). There is scant evidence of a generally intellectual approach.
The composition displays a good level of creative imagination, with good control and elaboration of musical materials, based on technical competence in use of resources (instrumental and vocal). There is also evidence of intellectual acumen.
The composition displays a high level of creative imagination, with emergent individuality of compositional voice, skilful control and elaboration of musical materials, and technical mastery of resources (instrumental and vocal). There is also evidence of high level of ability at conceptual thought, penetration of issues, originality of approach and/or insight.
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to evaluate the compositional merits of a specific piece of work composed in a contemporary style, and apply these judgments to their own work;
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to demonstrate some originality of thought and will have begun moving towards creative independence;
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to employ a range of relevant compositional techniques;
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to confidently work with the tools and materials of composition;
Upon successful completion of the module, students will be able to write music which: a) achieves a measure of balance of unity and diversity;
b) displays an economy of means;
c) makes use of techniques studied on the course;
|Main assignment 1||35.00|
|Main Assignment 2||35.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 weekly lectures of up to 2 hours. Other classes coinciding with the Bangor New Music Festival or the visit of a composer or ensemble may also be arranged as appropriate.
11 weekly seminars of 1 hour's duration.
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
No reading list required for this course. A list of recordings and scores will be provided at the beginning of the course.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 2 (BA/ELM)
- 32N7: BA English Literature & Music with International Experience year 2 (BA/ELMIE)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 2 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 2 (BA/HMU)
- VW14: BA History and Music with International Experience year 2 (BA/HMUIE)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 2 (BA/MCWIE)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 2 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 2 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 2 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 2 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/MUSF)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- W3R8: BA Music and Modern Languages year 2 (BA/MUSML)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 2 (BA/MUSP)
- W3W4: BA Music with Theatre & Performance year 2 (BA/MUSTP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 2 (BA/PRM)
- VW2H: BA Welsh History and Music year 2 (BA/WHMU)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 2 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 2 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 2 (BMUS/MUS)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BMUS/MUSF)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 2 (BSC/EEM)