Why choose Bangor for your studies?
Founded in 1884, dedicated to academic excellence for more than 135 years, Bangor University is one of the oldest and most prestigious degree awarding institutions in the UK. Find out more
- Top 10 in the UK for University of the Year - WhatUni 2023
- Top 45 UK University - The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023
- World ranking 182nd for International Outlook – Times Higher Education World Ranking 2022
- Top 5 UK University for Lecturers and Teaching Quality – WhatUni 2023
- 85% of Bangor University’s research is world-leading or internationally excellent – REF 2021
Transcript for Seven Reason to Study at Bangor Video
[0:06] I chose Bangor University because it’s not only rich with history, but I wanted to be a part of an institution which is modern, cutting edge and is focused on making a difference in society.
[0:19] The university has got the most traditional look, but then again it just kind of gives you both perspectives, so you can feel like you’re living in the modern world, but you have that connection with the history as well, so it’s kind of amazing.
[0:32] The standard of teaching is very high quality. The university helps you to implement the skills that you have learnt to be able to use them when you are working in a very modern setting.
[0:43] Not only you’re being taught about academics but also they are teaching you how to be a better human, so they’re actually going to help you in every single domain.
[0:56] I think Bangor University gives me a really good hands-on experience and also prepares me for actually going into the real world, because they’ve got the employability service here so if you’ve got any questions about your CV or anything you can just go and ask.
[1:10] If you want to do a placement or if you want to find jobs, they have really good connections. They provide us with good opportunities for internships and give you advice to build up your CV.
[1:21] I feel like I’m a part of Bangor University. They have student support. People are very friendly here.
[1:32] They have a lot of clubs and societies. Art, drama, sports, like everything. It’s really amazing.
[1:52] The location, that’s why I chose Bangor. The mountains and the sea, it’s so naturally beautiful here. A lot of hiking. Snowdonia is one of the most beautiful national parks in the world.
[2:03] You don’t have to take a bus to your lectures, everything’s in walking distance.
[2:09] The fact that at Bangor University, the lifestyle is so affordable than any other place, I do so many more new things, and I feel like it’s definitely improved the quality of my life.
[2:19] I feel like there are a lot of things to take away from Bangor. We do a lot of sustainable projects here. The Students Union they run a project so every week we go litter pick around nature reserves or bike paths, walking paths. It feels very rewarding, and I will definitely be taking that to wherever I go next.
[2:42] If you’re looking for somewhere to study that is friendly and supportive, I think here will be the best because they really care. This is the best decision that I decided to come to study at Bangor University, and I’m so proud to study here.
Careers and Employability
- 5 Stars Global Rating for Employability - QS Star Rating System 2022
- 88% of our graduates progressed to employment or further study within six months of graduation – DLHE survey 2021
- Many courses help strengthen career prospects through;
- Work placements: students are provided with a variety of options for work experience – either within the degree, through University internships or by volunteering.
- Industry partnerships: Some degrees are run in partnership with the industry such as Teacher Training, Nursing and Social Work.
- Professional accreditations: to help develop students’ careers, many of the degrees are accredited by professional bodies of global repute, such as IBMS, ACCA, CIMA, CIM, BCS, BPS, IET, ICF, SRA, and NMC.
Cost of Study
- Scholarships worth over £1M are available for international students.
- Top 20 UK University for ‘Student Support’ – WhatUni 2023
- Free English language support for international students throughout the year
- Dedicated team to handle international student concerns ranging from visa, accommodation, health, money matters, and employment
- Free of cost writing and skills workshops for students, for confidential writing, study skills, time management, and numeracy/statistics support
- Ranked top 10 in the UK for our 'Student Union’ – WhatUni 2023
- Top 15 UK University for 'Personal Tutors' - StudentCrowd University Awards 2023
- Ranked No.3 in the UK for 'Student Accommodation' – WhatUni 2023
- Top 15 UK University for 'Facilities' - WhatUni 2023
- Guaranteed accommodation for new international students*
- Free Wi-fi, gym membership, and campus life activities access
- £35 million investment in student accommodation halls
- Conveniently located within a 15 minute walk from the lecture halls and also the city centre
- Student village comprising of sports facilities, laundry, café, bar, shops and 24 hour security
- Variety of room options available; En-Suite, Studios, Townhouses, Standard, and Budget
* Accommodation is guaranteed to international students beginning in the September intake only, we cannot guarantee accommodation for the January intake.
- Coastal town situated near to the Snowdonia mountains.
- Close to major cities like London (3.5 hrs), Manchester (1.5 hrs) and Liverpool (1.5 hrs)
Pass the Avgångsbetyg / Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskola (Upper secondary school leaving certificate) with an average grade of C (broadly equivalent to a score of 15). There may be subject specific requirements (usually grade B-C in relevant subject) depending on the degree course applied for.
It is possible to transfer into the 2nd year of an undergraduate degree programme if they university studies undertaken to date in another country or in another university in the UK correspond by level and content to the 1st year of a programme at Bangor University. In order to assess an application for transfer, students are required to provide an official certified transcript detailing the study undertaken to date with their application.
Entry onto our postgraduate Masters’ courses requires an undergraduate / bachelor degree of the following standard: Pass (Godkand). This is equivalent to a British second-class honours degree.
Candidates who require additional studies in order to reach the desired level for entry onto a Masters degree will be considered for an extended Masters degree with incorporated Pre-Masters.*
English Language Requirements
An IELTS score of 6.0 (no element below 5.5) or equivalent is normally required (some courses may require a higher score, e.g. 6.5 (6.0)). We may consider waiving the English Language Requirements if you provide alternative evidence of your English Language ability, e.g. a minimum grade C in the English component of the Avgångsbetyg / Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskola
Students from other countries who require advice regarding their qualifications can contact the International Education Centre at: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Note: In such cases, candidate details will be shared with Bangor International College which delivers the 1st year of the 4-year degree course, and Pre-Masters component of the Masters degree course in partnership with Bangor University. Candidate details will not be shared with any other third party organisations.
- International Year Zero: High school certificate or equivalent from your home country + IELTS 4.5 (4.0)
- International Year 1: School leaving qualification equivalent to the British school leaving qualification (A-levels / IB) + IELTS 4.5 (4.0)
- Undergraduate Courses: School leaving qualification equivalent to the British school leaving qualification (A-levels / IB) or the University may also recognise relevant professional experience of 2 years or longer for entry onto our degree programmes + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
- Postgraduate Courses: Undergraduate / bachelor degree of equivalent standard to the British undergraduate/bachelor degree or the University may also recognise relevant professional experience of 2 years or longer for entry onto our degree programmes + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
- PhD/Research Course: Postgraduate / Master’s Degree of equivalent standard to the British Postgraduate / Master’s Degree + IELTS 6.0 (5.5)
Note: Some courses may require higher entry requirements. Refer to individual course pages for details.
Applicants from some countries do NOT need to provide additional evidence of English Language ability, if previous education was with English medium of instruction. Otherwise, an IELTS overall 6.0 with 5.5 in each component or equivalent is normally required (some courses may require a higher score.
Fees & Scholarships
Find out about the annual tuition fee for international students as well as the many attractive scholarships for international students on our International Fees page.
Last year scholarships worth over £1 million pounds were offered by Bangor University, helping students from around the world to satisfy their dream of studying overseas. Find out about the annual tuition fee for international students as well as the many attractive scholarships for international students on our International Scholarships page.
We have a dedicated team of international country managers who regularly travel overseas to meet prospective students throughout the year. Alternatively you can approach one of our authorised agents in your country who can advise you about admissions at Bangor and assist you with your application.
The details about our next visit to Brunei will be posted here soon. In the meantime, feel free to contact us by filling in the Enquiry Form, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Our dedicated team of international country managers travel overseas to meet prospective students throughout the year. Find out when they may be visiting your country.