Making of the Italian Nation
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Silvia Bergamini
- Provide students with an introduction to the study of Modern Italian History and Culture.
- Introduce students to the key historical events that lead to the Unification of Italy, to the rise and fall of Fascism, and to the birth of the Republic.
- Introduce students to the key issues surrounding the question of an Italian national identity, also in relation to the 'North/South' debate, the political and ideological cultures of Italy, and the mafia.
- Introduce students to Italian literature and cinema.
- Foster analytical skills through the study of various texts and films.
This course aims to provide an introduction to the history and culture of Modern Italy from the early nineteenth century to the birth of the Italian Republic in the post-war era. Students will be introduced to the major political, social and cultural factors that contributed to the unification and the birth of Italy as a nation through an analysis of contemporary literary works and films set during the Risorgimento. A strong emphasis will then be placed on how narratives of an Italian national identity were used in literature and cinema in post-unification Italy, and how they continued to shape the political debate in the fascist regime under Benito Mussolini, and in the Republic. Through the study of a variety of primary sources, students will be encouraged to reflect not only on particular social and historical movements, but also on issues relating to the development of an Italian national identity, with the aim of gaining a better understanding of contemporary Italy. This will entail a focus on issues related to the 'Southern Question' debate, women rights, emigration, education, and organised crime.
D- - D+: A grasp of key issues pertaining to the relevant aspect of Italian fiction, cinema, history and culture. At least partly-successful attempts to frame an argument utilising secondary materials.
C- - B+:Good grasp of key issues pertaining to the relevant aspect of Italian fiction, cinema, history and culture. Solid analysis of topic area, making good use of relevant secondary sources to support argument.
A- - A*: Excellent grasp of key issues pertaining to the relevant aspect of Italian fiction, cinema, history and culture. Clear appreciation of topic making good use of relevant secondary material and an impressive depth of knowledge and/or subtlety of analysis.
Demonstrate a mastery of basic study skills, such as the ability to follow a course of reading, make effective use of notes and secondary sources, and benefit from class discussions.
Demonstrate an understanding of the key historical events that led to the unification of Italy in 1861, to the rise and fall of Fascism, and to the birth of the Italian Republic.
Show a good knowledge of the works studied and of their authors, contextualizing them within the wider framework of Italian socio-historical background.
Show awareness of the key issues surrounding the question of an Italian national identity, and how these narratives continued to inform political debates and popular culture in the years after Unification.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
One 1 hour lecture (or seminar) per week for 11 weeks per semester
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- NR43: BA Accounting/Italian year 2 (BA/AIT)
- NR33: BA Banking/Italian year 2 (BA/BIT)
- N2R3: BA Business Management and Italian year 2 (BA/BMI)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- T106: BA Chinese and Italian year 2 (BA/CHIT)
- MR95: BA Criminology&Criml Just/Italian year 2 (BA/CRIT)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- LR13: BA Economics/Italian year 2 (BA/ECIT)
- 09V3: BA English Literature and Italian year 2 (BA/ELI)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 2 (BA/ELIT)
- RR13: BA French/Italian(4 years) year 2 (BA/FI)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/FSI)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 2 (BA/GI)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 2 (BA/HIT)
- RV32: BA History and Italian (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/HITIE)
- QR53: BA Italian/Cymraeg year 2 (BA/ITCY)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 2 (BA/ITL)
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 2 (BA/ITSSC)
- NR53: BA Marketing and Italian (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTITAL)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 2 (BA/MUIT)
- VVR3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Italian year 2 (BA/PRI)
- RR43: BA Spanish/Italian year 2 (BA/SI)