Run by School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
20 Credits or 10 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Hans-Peter Kubis
Overall aims and purpose
Nod y modiwl hwn yw datblygu gwybodaeth craidd ffisioleg dynol sy'n angenrheidiol i ddeall yr agweddau ffisiolegol ymarfer corff a chwaraeon a gwmpesir mewn modiwlau dilynol.
The aim of this module is to provide the students with core knowledge of human physiology necessary to understand the physiological aspects of exercise and sport covered in subsequent modules (SHES).
Bydd mecanweithiau ac egwyddorion ffisiolegol yn cael eu dysgu a'u harddangos mewn darlithoedd (Saesneg). Bydd sesiynau ymarferol (Cymraeg) yn canolbwyntio ar ymatebion ac asesiadau ffisiolegol i wella dealltwriaeth o'r pwnc ac fel sylfaen ar gyfer modiwlau yn y dyfodol.
Physiological mechanisms and principles will be taught and demonstrated in lectures (English medium). Practicals (Welsh medium) will focus on physiological responses and assessments to enhance understanding of the topic and as a foundation for future modules.
Blackboard MCQs: 40% of the questions need to be answered correctly to pass this section. Practical assessments: Basic evidence for data collection in all practicals is given.
Blackboard MCQs: 60% of the questions need to be answered correctly in this section. Practical assessments: Evidence for data collection and graphs in all practicals are provided.
Blackboard MCQs: 75% of the questions need to be answered correctly in this section. Practical assessments: Evidence for data collection and clear graphs with interpretations in all practicals are provided.
Disgrifiwch ac eglurwch ffisioleg dynol sylfaenol
Trafodwch rai o ymatebion ffisiolegol acíwt y corff i ymarfer a mecanweithiau clefydau a ddewiswyd
Dangos y gallant ddatrys problemau ffisiolegol
Defnyddio offer ar gyfer mesur paramedrau ffisiolegol
Cofnodi a dadansoddi data ffisiolegol
Esbonio hanfodion bioleg cell
|lab 3 report||6.7|
|mcq 2 test||30|
|Lab practical 6 report||6.7|
|Lab Report Practical 1||6.7|
|Lab Practical 4 report||6.6|
|Lab Report Practical 2||6.7|
|Lab practical 5 report||6.7|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
|Practical classes and workshops||12|
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Mentoring - Able to support, help, guide, inspire and/or coach others
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
- Leadership - Able to lead and manage, develop action plans and objectives, offer guidance and direction to others, and cope with the related pressures such authority can result in
Subject specific skills
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- work effectively independently and with others
- project manage and execute practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
Introduction to Human Physiology, Lauralee Sherwood, Brooks/Cole 2012 or later Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology, Martini, Nath, Bartholomew, Pearson 2014 or later Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology, Elaine N. Marieb, Pearson, 2014 and later editions. Hole’s Essentials of Human Anatomy & Physiology, D. Shier, J. Butler, R. Lewis, McGraw-Hill, 2014 and later editions. Widmaier EP, Raff H, Strang KT: Vander, Sherman, &Luciano’s Human Physiology, McGraw-Hill, 2007 or later
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 1 (BA/ITSSC)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 1 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 1 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSSC)
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 1 (BA/SPSW)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 1 (BSC/ASS)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 1 (BSC/SEXP)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 1 (BSC/SHES)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 1 (BSC/SHPE)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPS)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 1 (BSC/SPSF)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 1 (BSC/SSB)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/SSIE)
- C6N5: BSc Sport Science & Marketing year 1 (BSC/SSM)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/SSMP)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 1 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 1 (MSCI/SS)