Educational Leadership and Management
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Huw Clwyd Phillips
The overall aim is to enable students to have a critical understanding and appreciation of effective educational leadership:
- to develop an understanding of schools as organisations and how context influences effectiveness.
- to appreciate the notion of teamwork and how distributed leadership can be effective in organisations.
- to enable students to understand the key responsibilities of effective leadership eg leading teaching and learning, recruitment.
- to appreciate that the management of performance needs to be central to overall leadership and management at institutional level.
- to reflect school leadership in the 21st century and how leaders need to think and act both locally and globally.
In 2021 this module will start at the end of semester 1 and continue into semester 2 so that students have received the module content before they have their observational placement. This will enable students to be well prepared for the placement module, if they are taking it.
If, in semester 1 2021 lectures are timetabled as being-on line due to covid-19 restrictions, the learning outcomes for this module can be met fully and we will return to campus learning as soon as it is safe to do so. Any planned visits to schools will be replaced with on-line input from professionals in schools to enable students to engage with current educational practice.
The module is divided into the following ten sessions:
- Context for leadership and management
- Organisational cultures, structures and roles Models of educational leadership
- Leading and managing through teams
- Planning for assignment 1
- Leading learning and teaching Managing meetings, time and stress
- Recruitment and selection Induction and retention
- Managing conflict
- Leading and managing performance
- Leading and managing change Planning for assignment 2
- International perspectives on leadership
At this level students show evidence of planning which leads to a satisfactory assignment structure, satisfactory understanding of theories and analysis, and appropriate use of research. Arguments are supported by appropriate evidence. Assignment mark range - 50% - 59% Category - PASS
At this level students show good insight, offer sustained and relevant analysis. Assignments are well researched and referenced, written with a clear structure and style. Assignment mark range - 60% - 69% Category - MERIT
At this level students demonstrate excellence in power of analysis, argument and originality. Students also demonstrate excellent organisation, use a wide range of research and stylistic quality. Assignment mark range - 70%+ Category - DISTINCTION
By the end of this module, successful students will:
- Have a critical understanding of leadership and management in the context of educational organisations.
- Be able to effectively contextualise their understanding so as to critically evaluate the leadership and management in an educational organisation with which they are familiar.
- Have a critical understanding of the nature and leadership of change in educational organisations.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students will be given specific tasks to complete during directed independent study time eg feedback based on a reading, individual or collaborative presentations, preparation for assignments.
Contact time: 30 hours. A combination of lectures and seminars.
In semester 1 2020 lectures will be timetabled as being-on line due to covid-19 restrictions. The learning outcomes for this module can be met fully in this way and we will return to campus learning as soon as it is safe to do so. Any planned visits to schools will be replaced with on-line input from professionals in schools to enable students to engage with current educational practice.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Show originality in the application of subject specific knowledge and understanding.
- Adapt and transfer ideas from one educational context to another.
- Identify problems, evaluate solutions and critique research associated with educational practice.
- Acquire and analyse data in an educational context.
- Adopt an ethically sound approach to research with children and vulnerable adults.