Educational Leadership and Management
Educational Leadership and Management 2022-23
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - PGT
Huw Clwyd Phillips
This 30 credit module enables students to have a critical understanding and appreciation of effective educational leadership.
The following topics are covered in this module:
- Context for leadership and management
- Organisational cultures, structures and roles
- Models of educational leadership
- Leading and managing through teams
- Instructional leadership
- Distributed leadership
- Recruitment and selection
- Induction and retention
- Leading and managing performance
- Leading and managing change
- Managing conflict
- Curriculum leadership and curriculum reform in Wales
- Leading and managing staff
- School leadership in Wales
- International perspectives on leadership
Threshold - at this level students show evidence of planning which leads to a satisfactory assignment structure, satisfactory understanding of theories and analysis, and appropriate use of research. Arguments are supported by appropriate evidence. Assignment mark range - 50% - 59%. Category - PASS
Good - at this level students show good insight, offer sustained and relevant analysis. Assignments are well researched and referenced, written with a clear structure and style. Assignment mark range - 60% - 69%. Category - MERIT
-Excellent - at this level students demonstrate excellence in power of analysis, argument and originality. Students also demonstrate excellent organisation, use a wide range of research and stylistic quality. Assignment mark range - 70%+ Category - DISTINCTION
- Be able to effectively contextualise their understanding so as to critically evaluate the leadership and management in an educational organisation with which they are familiar.
- Have a critical understanding of leadership and management in the context of educational organisations.
- Have a critical understanding of the nature and leadership of change in educational organisations.
Assignment 1 - an essay of 2,000 words on models of educational leadership (worth 40% of the marks)
Assignment 2 - an essay of 2,000 words on leading and managing a change event (worth 40% of the marks)
A presentation on leadership in your own country (worth 20% of the marks)