Why study with us?
Why study at the Bangor Law School
- Our student satisfaction rating reflects our commitment to support, guidance and pastoral care.
- Our class sizes are considerably smaller than those of many other UK law school, giving lecturers the opportunity to get to know students on a first-name basis.
- We have a dedicated Law library managed by a professional law librarian.
- Our international body of staff is made up of experts in fields including International Law, Intellectual Property Law, European Law, Procurement Law, Competition Law, Finance Law and Devolved Government. Graduates of many of the world’s leading universities, they have substantial experience at professional and academic level and are widely published in leading journals. This expertise is reflected in the teaching, through which students develop a thorough understanding of contemporary legal systems and issues with a worldwide perspective.
- Every Bangor LLB is a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD) and is recognised by the Law Society, the Bar Council of England and Wales, and the Law Society of Ireland for professional purposes. This means that Bangor LLB graduates will have completed the academic stage of training for the legal professions in England, Wales and Ireland.
- Our three-year LLB in Law and our four-year LLB degree schemes combining Law with a European language (French, German, Italian or Spanish) are recognised by the Bar Council of India for professional purposes, provided that they are taken in accordance with the terms of the Bar Council of India recognition criteria (further information).
- As all Bangor LLB degrees have QLD status, graduates may enter directly onto the Legal Practice Course (LPC) to become solicitors or the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) to become barristers.
- Bangor LLB degree holders are eligible to take the Law Society of Ireland entrance exams: FE-Is.
- The degrees address the British, European and International dimensions of the contemporary legal environment and development.
- We have a dedicated degree scheme in Law with English as a second language for students from overseas whose first language is not English.
- Welsh students may undertake tutorials in all of the foundation subjects in either English or Welsh, opt for an LLB in Law with Welsh, and undertake a few modules taught entirely through the medium of Welsh.
Studying at Bangor
Rated Gold for teaching
We have been awarded a Gold rating, the highest rating possible, for the standarad of our teaching in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) assessment. The TEF assessment took into account teaching quality, learning environment and student outcomes and learning gain. We were judged to deliver consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students and our teaching is of the highest quality found in the UK.
A top 10 university
The National Student Survey (NSS) results place Bangor amongst the UK’s top 10 universities (excluding specialist institutions) for student satisfaction. This reflects the University’s focus on overall student experience.
Enjoy a university experience that’s amongst the best in the UK
Take advantage of the Bangor Student Experience with free membership of student clubs and societies, a new international experience programme and employability award scheme.
Award-winning clubs and societies!
Our clubs and societies have been named the best in the UK at the WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2018.
Choose to study in one of the best places in the UK to be a student. Bangor’s location – close to the mountains and the sea - has been described as ‘the best university setting in the UK’.
Investment in facilities
Benefit from continued investment in facilities and services – with an exciting new Arts and Innovation Centre, new Halls of Residence, and improved sports facilities amongst recent developments.
Guaranteed accommodation in award-wining halls of residence
We guarantee accommodation for first year students who apply within the deadline and hold Bangor as their Frm Choice. Our accommodation has been named the best in the UK at the 2018 WhatUni Student Choice Awards.