Dr Katrien Van Landeghem
Senior Lecturer in Ocean Sciences
Room: 312 Craig Mair Phone: 01248 38 8161
I lecture in Marine Geology and Geophysics. I focus my research on seabed morphodynamics. I study sediment transport and bedform dynamics, more particularly the formation of amplified sediment waves, enhanced sediment mobility around seafloor objects and its link to sustainable management of engineering projects. I also study seabed morphodynamics linked to glacial dynamics, reconstructing the demise of marine-terminating ice streams from investigations of the seafloor, and understanding seabed habitat suitability on exposed seafloor when glaciers have retreated.
- High-resolution seafloor evidence for glacial and post-glacial environments in the tidally dominated Irish Sea on the NW European Shelf PhD (University College Cork)
- A multidisciplinary study of the recent sedimentary processes in the Gollum Channel system to the West of Ireland MSc (Ghent University, Belgium)
I teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules with content ranging from general earth sciences to applied marine geology.
I supervise MSc and PhD projects during which the students acquire in-depth knowledge and key skills to investigate seabed dynamics, bedform formation, sediment transport and/or glacial geomorphology.
I have supervised 1 PhD student to completion and currently supervise 4 PhD students (3 as lead supervisor).
- A stratigraphic investigation of the Celtic Sea megaridges based on seismic and core data from the Irish-UK sectors.Lockhart, E, Scourse, J, Praeg, D, Van Landeghem, K, Mellett, C, Saher, M, Callard, SL, Chiverrell, RC, Benetti, S, Ó Cofaigh, C & Clark, CD 2018, 'A stratigraphic investigation of the Celtic Sea megaridges based on seismic and core data from the Irish-UK sectors.' Quaternary Science Reviews, vol. 198, pp. 156-170.
- Ice margin oscillations during deglaciation of the northern Irish Sea basin. Accepted for publication in the Journal of Quaternary ScienceChiverrell, RC, Smedley, R, Small, D, Ballantyne, CK, Burke, M, Callard, SL, Clark, CD, Duller, GA, Evans, D, Fabel, D, Van Landeghem, K, Thomas, GSP, Roberts, D, Saher, M, Scourse, J & Wilson, P 2018, 'Ice margin oscillations during deglaciation of the northern Irish Sea basin. Accepted for publication in the Journal of Quaternary Science' Journal of Quaternary Science .
- 5th International Conference on Marine & River Dune Dynamics (MARID), April 4th-6th, Caernarfon, UKVan Landeghem, K, Garlan, T, Baas, JH & Van Landeghem, KJ (ed.) 2016, 5th International Conference on Marine & River Dune Dynamics (MARID), April 4th-6th, Caernarfon, UK. Unknown Publisher.
- Geology of the seabed and shallow subsurfaceMellett, CL, Carter, G, Long, D, Chiverrell, RC & Van Landeghem, K 2015, Geology of the seabed and shallow subsurface: the Irish Sea. Energy and Marine Geoscience Programme, no. CR/15/057, British Geological Survey, Edinburgh.
- Classifying seabed sediment type using simulated tidal-induced bed shear stressWard, SL, Neill, SP, Van Landeghem, KJ & Scourse, JD 2015, 'Classifying seabed sediment type using simulated tidal-induced bed shear stress' Marine Geology, vol. 367, pp. 94-104. DOI: 10.1016/j.margeo.2015.05.010
- Geological settings and seafloor morphodynamic evolution linked to methane seepageVan Landeghem, KJ, Niemann, H, Steinle, LI, O'Reilly, SS, Huws, DG & Croker, PF 2015, 'Geological settings and seafloor morphodynamic evolution linked to methane seepage' Geo-Marine Letters, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 289-304. DOI: 10.1007/s00367-015-0407-5
- Bayesian modelling the retreat of the Irish Sea Ice StreamChiverrell, RC, Thrasher, IM, Thomas, GS, Lang, A, Scourse, JD, Van Landeghem, KJ, Mccarroll, D, Clark, CD, Ó Cofaigh, C, Evans, DJ & Ballantyne, CK 2013, 'Bayesian modelling the retreat of the Irish Sea Ice Stream' Journal of Quaternary Science, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 200-209. DOI: 10.1002/jqs.2616
- Reversed sediment wave migration in the Irish Sea, NW Europe: A reappraisal of the validity of geometry-based predictive modelling and assumptionsVan Landeghem, KJ, Baas, JH, Mitchell, N, Wilcockson, D & Wheeler, AJ 2012, 'Reversed sediment wave migration in the Irish Sea, NW Europe: A reappraisal of the validity of geometry-based predictive modelling and assumptions' Marine Geology, vol. 295-298, pp. 95-112. DOI: 10.1016/j.margeo.2011.12.004
- Post-glacial sediment dynamics in the Irish Sea and sediment wave morphology: Data-model comparisons.Van Landeghem, KJ, Uehara, K, Wheeler, AJ, Mitchell, NC & Scourse, JD 2009, 'Post-glacial sediment dynamics in the Irish Sea and sediment wave morphology: Data-model comparisons.' Continental Shelf Research, vol. 29, no. 14, pp. 1723-1736. DOI: 10.1016/j.csr.2009.05.014
- Variations in sediment wave dimensions across the tidally dominated Irish Sea, NW Europe.Van Landeghem, KJ, Wheeler, AJ, Mitchell, NC & Sutton, G 2009, 'Variations in sediment wave dimensions across the tidally dominated Irish Sea, NW Europe.' Marine Geology, vol. 263, no. 1-4, pp. 108-119. DOI: 10.1016/j.margeo.2009.04.003
- Seafloor evidence for palaeo-ice streaming and calving of the grounded Irish Sea Ice Stream: Implications for the interpretation of its final deglaciation phase.Van Landeghem, KJ, Wheeler, AJ & Mitchell, NC 2009, 'Seafloor evidence for palaeo-ice streaming and calving of the grounded Irish Sea Ice Stream: Implications for the interpretation of its final deglaciation phase.' Boreas, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 119-131. DOI: 10.1111/j.1502-3885.2008.00041.x
Pristine Antarctic fjords contain similar levels of microplastics to open oceans near big civilisations.Alexis Janosik (Contributor), David Barnes (Contributor), James Scourse (Contributor), Van Landeghem, K. (Contributor)16 Jul 2018
Activity: Other › Types of Public engagement and outreach - Media article or participation