Why study with us?
Why study with the School of Psychology?
- Bangor is the most affordable place in the UK to be a student (TotalMoney 2019)
- Top 5 for Student Satisfaction – NSS 2019
- Top 20% for Graduate Prospects – Guardian Good University Guide 2020
- Top 15% for Research Quality – Complete University Guide 2019
- Bangor is top 25% for postgraduate taught student satisfaction – Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey 2018
- Bangor is 10th for PhD student satisfaction - Postgraduate Research Experience Survey 2018
- Largest number of Psychology students in Wales and one of the largest and most cosmopolitan departments in UK (HESA Stats)
- 89% of research output either world leading or internationally excellent and 17th overall - REF 2014
- We were one of only two UK Psychology departments ranked top 20 for research in REF 2014 that are also ranked top 10 for student satisfaction in the same year
- Top 200 Psychology departments in the world - QS World University Ranking 2017
- Bangor Psychology is 50+ (born ‘63), putting it amongst the oldest in the UK.
- There are a large number of specialist research labs including a 3T MRI scanner, TMS Labs, ECG facilities and a Brain anatomy laboratory.
- Bangor University was amongst the first set of universities, and the only one in Wales, to be awarded Gold in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework
- Excellent transport links mean Bangor is less than 90 minutes from Liverpool and Manchester by car with London accessible by train in about 3 hours
- Bangor is an affordable, safe, compact and friendly city on the beautiful North Wales coast next to the mountains of Snowdonia
Postgraduate Study with the School of Psychology
Annual Psychology Masters Conference
At Bangor we believe the opportunity to present your research is both rewarding in itself and a valuable learning experience as it enables our students to polish skills that will be relevant for most careers, whether in academia or beyond. Each year we run a Masters Conference in September which all our masters students are able to take part in.
Why choose Bangor University?
Academic and research excellence
Established in 1884, Bangor University combines traditional academic excellence with cutting-edge research and equipment, and ranks in the top 40 in the UK for research quality*.
Bangor University’s research has a major impact around the world according to the latest assessment of research quality, the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014. The REF recognised that more than three-quarters of Bangor’s research is either world-leading or internationally excellent, ahead of the average for UK universities. Over half of Bangor’s academic Schools have been ranked in the UK top 20 for quality of research.
Top 10 in the UK for Student Satisfaction* (National Student Survey, July 2019) (UK non-specialist Universities)
Bangor University has won the award for best Clubs and Societies at the 2019 WhatUni Student Choice Awards.
The University was also placed fourth overall in the University of the Year category, as well as being in second place in the 'Courses and Lecturers' and fifth for 'Giving Back' categories. The 'Giving Back' award was based on students views on how much their university gives back to the community, both globally and locally (WhatUni Student Choice Awards 2019).
Range of Expertise
The University is made up of three Colleges housing thirteen academic Schools, as well as over fifty specialist research centres, enabling the provision of over 150 postgraduate courses spanning the Arts, Humanities and Sciences.
We believe strongly in supporting the academic development of our postgraduates. Our Early Researcher Development Programme (ERDP) provides training and workshops that will help you develop and maintain the key research, vocational and entrepreneurial skills necessary to meet the demands of your future career.
From the moment you arrive, you’ll be given as much help and support as possible with health and welfare matters as well as with your academic work. Our Student Support Services centre provides a one-stop-shop for advice and guidance on matters from money and housing to disability support, counselling and local faith provision.
Your work-life balance can be key to the success of your postgraduate study. Situated between the mountains, lakes and forests of the Snowdonia National Park and miles of dramatic coastline, Bangor provides one of the most attractive study locations in the UK, and is a great base for all kinds of outdoor sports and activities.
Bangor is the most affordable place in the UK to be a student (TotalMoney 2019)
Bangor is at the heart of the region’s transport network, with quick road and rail links taking you across to Liverpool and Manchester in just 90 minutes. Bangor’s location on the London to Holyhead main line means that the regular ferry service from Holyhead Port to Dublin is just 20 minutes away, while a direct train will take you to the centre of London in little over 3 hours.
*excluding specialist institutions and single-submission universities.