Why Study Education?
We firmly believe that we are educating tomorrow’s change makers. These courses will enable you to be at the heart of improving educational quality and understanding, wherever your career takes you.
- 5th for Student Satisfaction (NSS 2020)
- Top 20 overall for Education (Complete University Guide 2021)
- Flexibility in how you study – you can study full or part time and depending on the modules you are studying some can be studied face-to-face or online
- Our courses are designed to meet the needs of both UK and international students, ensuring that you acquire both a local and international understanding of key educational issues
- You will benefit from support and guidance from experienced tutors
- Our research active staff embed their knowledge and expertise into your module, ensuring that you have a contemporary understanding of educational issues
- Flexibility in what you study - in the dissertation module you’ll choose your own topic area and whether to pursue an applied or research focused project allowing you to tailor your learning to your career and interests
- Our courses are responsive to the changing educational landscape and the future needs of students, with new modules being introduced e.g. Bilingualism in Education (taught through the medium of Welsh), Digital Competency (an on-line module)
- You will have the opportunity to study through the medium of Welsh and you will gain an in-depth understanding of educational issues in a bilingual environment
On successful completion of one of our degrees you will have a systematic knowledge and understanding of a range of current educational issues (e.g. assessment, behaviour management, counselling, inclusive education, mental health).
In all our teaching, on whatever the course you are on, we link theory to practice applied in the real world giving you the skills you need to thrive in your chosen profession.
You don’t need to take our word for it, a recent MA Education student commented, ‘I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt so much that I hope it will further my career in teaching. Each and every lecture was interesting and worth it’.
Career Opportunities in Education
Once you graduate you will be able to meet the demand for well-qualified specialists able to work with children, young people and their families in education and a range of other contexts. Depending on the focus of your studies, career choices may be be open to you in fields such as education, psychology, sociology and allied professions in the public and private sector, including health, social care, youth and community work.
- The MA Education programme is relevant to a wide range of professional contexts and can improve your career prospects if you are a teacher, teaching assistant, lecturer, health worker, social worker or in the police service.
- On the MA Education programme, you may choose to follow the dyslexia pathway in order to obtain a specialist qualification i.e. AMBDA (Associate Membership of the British Dyslexia Association) or study an individual module to enhance your professional development e.g. Meeting ALN (Additional Learning Needs)
- As a MA Childhood and Youth graduate you will be thoroughly prepared to enhance practice within the children’s work force
- There is potential for students to progress to either a part-time or full-time EdD or PhD programme, depending on student interest and expertise.
Our Research in Education
- Top 10 for Research (Times Good University Guide 2020)
At the School of Education and Human Development you will learn about the most current research findings in your field and have the opportunity to work alongside internationally-renowned research experts in designing and implementing your own research. You will be taught by individuals who are recognised internationally for their expertise and who are invited regularly to speak at various high-profile events world-wide.