French Language Skills
Run by School of Arts, Culture and Language
40.000 Credits or 20.000 ECTS Credits
Semester 1 & 2
Organiser: Dr Armelle Blin-Rolland
Overall aims and purpose
- To consolidate and expand on students' knowledge of French grammar and vocabulary.
- To develop translation skills into and out of the target language, and skills in manipulation of written French.
- To develop oral and aural skills.
- To familiarise students with lexis relevant to their forthcoming residence abroad, and other sociocultural contexts.
Students on this module will be working towards achieving B2/C1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
Building on the foundations of the first year language course, classes on written language skills, listening comprehension and translation into English, and oral communication skills will further develop proficiency and fluency in French. Written language skills include grammar review, paraphrasing, translation into French and essay-writing, and will focus on journalistic, literary and professional language. Listening comprehension classes will draw from modern, authentic material including recent French TV reports, and involve comprehension and paraphrasing exercises. The language materials used will concern the following topics: media, employability, the arts and socio-cultural debates. Oral skills will develop fluency across different registers of spoken French. All classes seek to develop the skills students will need for their third year in a French-speaking country.
40-49%: A limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a limited ability to translate and paraphrase the prescribed range of texts. Basic oral and aural competence.
50-69%: A good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and a good ability to translate and manipulate a variety of textual material. Good oral and aural competence.
70+%: An excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and an excellent ability to translate and otherwise manipulate texts, with a firm understanding of register. Excellent oral and aural competence.
Students will be able to communicate effectively in spoken French across a range of different registers.
Students will be able to communicate effectively in written French across a range of different registers.
Students will demonstrate an increased proficiency in aural comprehension.
Demonstrate an ability to translate texts competently, matching style and register to purpose.
Students will have extended their knowledge and awareness of topics relating to French and francophone cultures and societies.
|CLASS TEST||compréhension audiovisuelle||15.00|
|CLASS TEST||traduction en français||20.00|
|EXAM||exam (2 hour written exam)||30.00|
|CLASS TEST||Resume - Summary||15.00|
Teaching and Learning Strategy
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sensitevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
Subject specific skills
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in more substantial written assignments in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to translate more substantial passages into and out of the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Engaging with, interpreting and critically evaluating short and longer contemporary texts (short stories, films, novels) in the target language (Benchmark statement 5. 8, and 5.9)
- Enhanced oral communication and presentation skills (including delivery and argument development, discussion and defence) in the target language through individual and/or group discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to use the target language creatively and precisely in oral assignments, showing ease with a wider range of topics and registers in formal and informal situations. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- Further develop aural comprehension skills in the target language, supported by a wide range of appropriate materials in different media. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to read, understand and summarise more complex written texts in the target language. (Benchmark statement 5.3, 5.4)
- The ability to critically understand cultural studies concepts on cultural hybridity and their application to core Italian postcolonial texts. (Benchmark statements 5.7, 5.10).
Pre- and Co-requisite Modules
Courses including this module
Compulsory in courses:
- N2R1: BA Business Management and French year 2 (BA/BMFR)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- T111: BA Chinese and French with German year 2 (BA/CHFG)
- T112: BA Chinese & French with Italian year 2 (BA/CHFI)
- T104: BA Chinese and French year 2 (BA/CHFR)
- T113: BA Chinese & French with Spanish year 2 (BA/CHFS)
- T114: BA Chinese and German with French year 2 (BA/CHGF)
- T117: BA Chinese & Italian with French year 2 (BA/CHIF)
- T120: BA Chinese & Spanish with French year 2 (BA/CHSF)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- QR3C: BA English Language and French year 2 (BA/ELFR)
- R101: BA French year 2 (BA/F4)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 2 (BA/FBS)
- 06CD: BA French and English Literature year 2 (BA/FEL)
- R901: BA French & German with Italian year 2 (BA/FGI4)
- R913: BA French & German with Spanish year 2 (BA/FGS4)
- RR13: BA French/Italian(4 years) year 2 (BA/FI)
- R1R3: BA French with Italian year 2 (BA/FI4)
- R102: BA French with International Experience year 2 (BA/FIE)
- R919: BA French & Italian with Spanish year 2 (BA/FIS4)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FPIE)
- R1C8: BA French with Psychology year 2 (BA/FPSY)
- NR41: BA French/Accounting year 2 (BA/FRA)
- NR31: BA French/Banking year 2 (BA/FRB)
- T108: BA French with Chinese year 2 (BA/FRCH)
- MR91: BA French/Criminology&Crim'l Just year 2 (BA/FRCR)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FRCW)
- LR11: BA French/Economics year 2 (BA/FREC)
- R1P5: BA French with Journalism year 2 (BA/FRJO)
- R1N1: BA French with Marketing year 2 (BA/FRMKT)
- R1P3: BA French with Media Studies year 2 (BA/FRMS)
- R1R2: BA French with German year 2 (BA/FRWGER)
- R1R4: BA French with Spanish year 2 (BA/FS4)
- RR14: BA French and Spanish year 2 (BA/FS4#)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 2 (BA/FSFR4)
- R914: BA French & Spanish with German year 2 (BA/FSG4)
- R915: BA French & Spanish with Italian year 2 (BA/FSI4)
- R1R5: BA French with Spanish (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FSPIE)
- RR12: BA German/French year 2 (BA/G4F)
- R2R1: BA German with French year 2 (BA/GERWFR)
- R12R: BA German and French with International Experience year 2 (BA/GFIE)
- R922: BA German & Spanish with French year 2 (BA/GSF4)
- RV11: BA History/French year 2 (BA/HFR)
- R926: BA Italian & Spanish with French year 2 (BA/ISF4)
- QR11: BA Linguistics/French year 2 (BA/LFR)
- QR15: BA Linguistics and French with International Experience year 2 (BA/LFRIE)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 2 (BA/MKTFR)
- NR51: BA Marketing and French (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTFR#)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 2 (BA/MSFR)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 2 (BA/MUFR)
- VVR1: BA Philosophy and Religion and French year 2 (BA/PRF)
- R4R1: BA Spanish with French year 2 (BA/SPFR)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 2 (BA/SPSFR)
- QR51: BA Cymraeg/French year 2 (BA/WFR)
- M116: LLB Law with French (European Experience) year 2 (LLB/LFE)