New partnership with Volgograd State Pedagogical University, Russia
On Tuesday 27 January 2015, the Confucius Institute welcomed to Bangor Prof. Olga Leontovich, Head of the Department of Intercultural Communication and Translation at Volgograd State Pedagogical University (VSPU), the biggest teacher training university in southern Russia.
Prof. Leontovich is head of the Russian-Chinese Intercultural Communication Research Centre in Volgograd and also a member of VSPU’s Confucius Institute Board. Her lecture: Confucius Institutes as a Medium for Intercultural Communication Practices, given at the Confucius Institute here in Bangor, marks the start of a strong collaboration between the two universities in Bangor and Volgograd; a partnership that aims to explore the issues surrounding intercultural communication and practice in the UK, Russia and China in relation to the growing global nature of the Confucius Institute.
Prof. Olga Leontovich one of the founders of the Russian Communication Association and a member of its Coordination Committee. She sits on the editorial boards of several academic journals including the Russian Journal of Communication, and she has contributed to conferences and lectures around the world. Her main research interests include ethnography of language and communication, intercultural communication and cultural discourse analysis, and she has authored over 160 publications, including:
• The Dictionary of U.S. Life and Culture for Russian readers (co-author E. Sheigal, 1998, 2nd ed. 2000)
• Several entries for the World Education Encyclopedia (2002)
• Russians and Americans: Paradoxes of Intercultural Communication (2003, 2005)
• Introduction to Intercultural Communication (2007)
• Communication Research Methods (2011)
• Understanding as the Beginning of Agreement: Intercultural Family Communication (co-author E. Yakusheva, 2014)
Prof. Leontovich has also edited several monographs including: Chinese Language and Culture in the Modern Global World (2010).
Publication date: 28 January 2015