Business Management Dissertation Project
Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Azhdar Karami
This module provides students with an excellent opportunity to experience the process of an independent academic research project that addresses a business management issue. Students will be led through the systematic and academic process of writing a feasible proposal for research and also the production of a substantial academically-grounded 3rd year dissertation based on a business management (or related) issue. Students will learn invaluable project management, research and thesis writing skills which will enhance employability and instil confidence for both critiquing and conducting meaningful academically-informed business management research.
Notes: This module is NOT available to students on BA Business and ICT, BA Business and Law, or to students on joint honours degrees including a named subject in a school other than BBS. A version of this module is available through the medium of Welsh.
This module will introduce students to the key tenets of planning, designing, conducting and writing-up an effective research proposal and 3rd year undergraduate dissertation for business and management.
Participants will be required to draft a proposal for a short research project within business management (and related) areas.
This will include (but is not limited to) the formulation of a research hypothesis/ research question, set of aims, objectives, brief literature review and proposed methodology and timescale etc. Students will then be supported through the principles underpinning a quality research project and will receive support through one to one supervision through to the completion of their third year dissertation. The dissertation should include (but not limited to) the formulation of a (revised) research hypothesis/ research question, set of aims, objectives, detailed critical literature review and methodology including research methods theory and analysis, conclusions, limitations and recommendations. The final submission should appropriately on its subject matter from any area of business management or marketing.
D- to D+ (40-49%): Students must show that they have some grasp of the elements contributing towards a business related project. This will include some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements and some integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
A- to A* (70% +): Students will have shown an excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements and excellent integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%): Students must demonstrate that they have a adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements and adequate integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
B- to B+ (60-69%): Students must show that they have a good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements and good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
An appreciation and application of quality measures (such as reliability & validity) for measuring and reflecting on the quality of academic research projects
Demonstrate key presentation, organisation and writing-up skills through planning, editing and compiling a substantial research dissertation.
Appreciate the purpose of key aspects of planning and carrying out research into business and management
An ability to synthesise and critically appraise a body of academic or industrial literature to generate a research proposal.
An awareness of the issues facing businesses while focusing on a specific knowledge area while choosing across a wide spectrum of management topics, including but not limited by operations, human resources, marketing, entrepreneurship, information, and finance.
Demonstrate academic data collection and analysis skills appropriate to level 6 (3rd year UGT) for conducting academically informed research
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
130 hrs private study on Sem 1;
140 hrs private study on Sem 2.
Regular supervision in Sem 2 of the progress of the Business Project either for the individual research project by an assigned supervisor; or for the business plan by the business planning tutor.
In Semester 1 the lectures will introduce the challenges of Business and Management research through two possible approaches - Business Plan and Dissertation. The common substantial introduction to a business management project will include the structure of a business plan and a Dissertation and their appropriate methodologies.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An ability to understand financial statements, and a basic appreciation of the limitations of financial reporting practices and procedures (eg financial statement analysis; the relation between cash flow accounting and accrual accounting; discretionary accounting practices).
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Numeracy: the use of quantitative skills to manipulate data, evaluate, estimate and model business problems, functions and phenomena.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Conceptual and critical thinking, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
- Self reflection: self-analysis and an awareness/sensitivity to diversity in terms of people and cultures. This includes a continuing appetite for development.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/asb-3413.html
Bell, Bryman, Harley (2019) Business Research Methods (5th Edition) Oxford University Press: London
Saunders, M. N. K., Lewis, P., and Thornhill, A. (2019) Research methods for business students, 6th edition, Financial Times Press.
Booth, W. C., Colomb, G. G., and Williams, J. M. (2008) The Craft of Research, Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
Blumberg, B., Cooper, D. R., and Schindler, P. S. (2014) Business research methods, Berkshire, McGraw-Hill Education.
Bryman, A., and Bell, E. (2011) Business research methods, 3rd edition, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Charmaz, K. (2006). Constructing grounded theory. A practical guide through qualitative analysis. London: Sage.
Hendriks, C.M. (2007). Praxis stories: Experiencing interpretive policy research. Critical Policy Studies, 1: 278-300.
Ng, W., and Coakes, E. (2014) Business research, London, KoganPage.
Remenyi, D., Williams, B., Money, A., and Swartz, E. (2005) Doing research in business and management: an introduction to process and methods, London, Sage publications.
Silverman, D. (2013) Doing qualitative research, 4th edition, London, Sage.
Strauss, A.L. and Corbin, J.M. (1997) Grounded theory in practice. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BUSSIE)
- N201: BSc Business Management (Bangor Uni International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBM)
- N105: BSc Business Studies (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBS)
- N200: BSc Business Management year 3 (BSC/BM)
- N20B: BSc Business Management (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BM1)
- N20F: BSc Business Management year 3 (BSC/BMFF)
- N20P: BSc Business Management with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/BMPP)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 3 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BS1)
- C8N2: BSc Psychology with Business Management year 3 (BSC/PBM)
- 2R87: BSc Psychology with Business year 3 (BSC/PWB)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N2T1: BA Business Management and Chinese year 4 (BA/BMCH)
- N2R1: BA Business Management and French year 4 (BA/BMFR)
- N2R2: BA Business Management and German year 4 (BA/BMG)
- N2R3: BA Business Management and Italian year 4 (BA/BMI)
- N2M1: BA Business Management and Law year 3 (BA/BML)
- N2MB: BA Business Man & Law (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/BML1)
- N2R4: BA Business Management and Spanish year 4 (BA/BMS)
- N107: BA Business year 3 (BA/BUS)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/BUSCH)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 4 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 4 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/BUSSI)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/BUSSS)
- N109: BSc Bus Analytics w Financial Tech year 3 (BSC/BAFT)
- N203: BSc Business Man with Acc (Bangor Uni International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBMA)
- N202: BSc Business Man & Finance (Bangor Uni International Coll) year 3 (BSC/BICBMF)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMRK)
- N2ND: BSc Business Management with Accounting year 3 (BSC/BMA)
- N2NF: BSc Business Man with Account (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BMA1)
- N3NF: BSc Business Management with Accounting year 3 (BSC/BMAF)
- N2NP: BSc Business Management with Accounting with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/BMAP)
- NN23: BSc Business Management and Finance year 3 (BSC/BMF)
- NN2B: BSc Business Man & Finance (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BMF1)
- NN2F: BSc Business Management and Finance year 3 (BSC/BMFINF)
- NN2P: Business Management and Finance with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/BMFP)
- NBR1: BSc Business Management with French year 4 (BSC/BMFR)
- NBR2: BSc Business Management with German year 4 (BSC/BMG)
- NBR3: BSc Business Management with Italian year 4 (BSC/BMI)
- N2N5: BSc Business Management and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BMM)
- N2NC: BSc Business Man & Marketing (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BMM1)
- N5NF: BSc Business Management and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BMMF)
- N5NP: BSc Business Management and Marketing with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/BMMP)
- NBR4: BSc Business Management with Spanish year 4 (BSC/BMS)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 3 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/MKT1)
- N50F: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKTF)
- N50P: BSc Marketing with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/MKTP)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 3 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/MWACC1)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 3 (BSC/SSB)