Finance & Investment Banking
Rhedir gan Bangor University International College
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
The main aim of this module is to provide students with an introduction to corporate finance. They will examine the concepts and principles underlying key financial decisions.
The module further offers insights into the nature of the financial instruments, financial markets and financial intermediaries, with particular focus on the banking business.
• Present value and the opportunity cost of capital; • Net present value and alternative methods of investment appraisal; • Project analysis; • Financial planning, and analysing financial performance; • Investment risk and return, and portfolio theory; • The Capital Asset Pricing Model; • Short-term and long-term financing; • Capital structure, and market imperfections; • Weighted average cost of capital; • Dividend policy; • Financial and real options; • Main types of financial instruments, financial markets and financial intermediaries • Unique characteristics of banks and recent developments in the banking sector • Theory of central banking; monetary policy; supervision and lender of last resort
Student has engaged consistently with all the topics of the module and so demonstrated a high level of suitability for the next phase of the master’s programme
Student has performed sufficiently well in demonstrating a basic knowledge and understanding of a number of topics studied to have achieved the lowest level of pass grades.
Student has scored well in many of the topics studied and achieved the progression grade, and so demonstrated a clear suitability for the next phase of the master’s programme
- Demonstrate an understanding of the portfolio concept in finance
- Develop a sound understanding of the banking business and of the role of a central bank
- Demonstrate an understanding of the nature of risk and return in the context of financial decision-making
- Explain the role of financial markets and financial intermediaries
- Apply techniques for financial valuation and rules for capital investment
- Analyse financial performance
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||120|
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Demonstrate numeracy skills required as a basis for further studies in Economics, Financial Accounting and Management
- Demonstrate an understanding and ability to analyse economic issues on a local and international scale
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will be required to purchase a text book
Brearley, R.A., Myers, S.C. and Allen, F. (2014). Principles of Corporate Finance, 11th ed. McGraw-Hill.
Pilbeam, K. (2010). Finance and Financial Markets, 3rd ed. Palgrave Macmillan.
Casu, B., Girardone, C. and Molyneux, P. (2015). Introduction to Banking, 2nd ed. Pearson.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N3DG: MBA Banking and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/BIF1)
- N3DK: MBA Islamic Banking & Finance (with incorp pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/IB1)
- N4AM: MSc Accounting (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/ACC1)
- N4AP: MSc Accounting and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/ACCF1)
- N3CT: MSc Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/FIN1)
- N3CX: MSc Investment Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/IMGT1)
- N2AY: MSc Management and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/MANF1)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N1BJ: MA Business and Marketing (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MA/BMK1)
- N2BB: MBA Environmental Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/EM1)
- N1BL: MBA International Business (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/IBUS1)
- N2BC: MBA Information Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/INFM1)
- N2BA: MBA Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/M1)