Tutorials Year 1
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Joanna Smith
The aim of the tutorial module is to develop transferable skills such as oral and written communication, time management and organisation, personal interaction and communicating scientific ideas and arguments. The tutorials will allow you to develop key skills that underpin the academic skills gained from lectures and laboratory practicals associated with your degree programme. In addition, tutorials provide a good opportunity to get to know your personal tutor and fellow course members.
Semester One: Students will develop their written communication skills via the preparation of essays (1000-1500 words) on topics relevant to their degree programme. Opportunities will be given to receive formative feedback, both general and specific, before the submission of a final summative essay.
Semester Two: Students will develop their spoken communication skills via the presentation of short talks to a variety of audiences.
Both Semesters: Students will have 'Popular Science' sessions provided by members of the academic staff. These provide exemplars and opportunities for reflection on the skills necessary to communicate complex science, as well as giving students an opportunity to start to identify and develop their specific interests in particular aspects of their subject. This will also allow development of note-taking and identification of key points in lectures.
D- to D+: A threshold student will demonstrate a basic ability to answer questions with relevant information, with some organisation of thoughts and understanding of the subject matter. Communication may have some misunderstandings evident but will show basic understanding of the principles. References will be used but may be limited or may rely on less appropriate sources.
A- to A+: An excellent student will demonstrate a wider understanding of the implications of the question beyond the obvious, a good grasp of latest developments in the subject area (including its limitations) and a developed critical ability. Communication will be fluent and articulate, with an ability to engage the audience. References/sources will be highly appropriate, scientific, well evaluated and extensively researched.
C- i C+
C- to C+: A student acheiving C level grades will demonstrate reasonable understanding of the information requested and some knowledge of the subject matter though with some lapses in detail and accuracy of ideas. A reasonable attempt to communicate ideas will be made, with some evidence of consideration of the intended audience. References/sources will be appropriate though may be limited.
B- to B+: A good student will produce a well-structured cogent argument demonstrating good understanding of the information requested and knowledge of the subject matter. Communication will be coherent and matched to the intended audience. References/sources will be appropriate, scientific and evaluated well.
Demonstrate awareness of current developments and issues in the Biological Sciences
Communicate scientific information and ideas in an effective and concise manner both orally and in writing
Obtain information on a specified topic from a variety of sources including the primary scientific literature
Develop personal development skills relating to time management, prioritisation of work, organisation and managing deadlines.
Develop life long learning skills
|Engagement and participation (Semester 1)||5.00|
|Engagement and participation (Semester 2)||5.00|
|In-tutorial Scientific Presentation 2||35.00|
|Abstract (Semester 2)||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Students are encouraged to develop a broad scientific knowledge of all aspects of the Biological Sciences via the reading of current scientific texts, being aware of current scientific affairs and developments via media coverage on news programmes, websites and documentary programmes.
Popular science talks. Aim of these talks is to showcase the broad and exciting variety of research conducted within the school and to provide opportunities to meet and talk to academic staff and research topics.
Directed reflective practice and formative scientific writing tasks in an online environment supported by tutors. These will be designed to encourage continued engagement, time on task and to promote practice of skills being learnt in both this module and in the Biology Practical Skills module.
Following every seminar, students have the opportunity to talk to a set member of staff to reflect on experience of first year and to consider the lectures that they have just attended. Attendance at these is optional but students value them as a forum for discussion with staff and peers.
Tutorials will be delivered in a small group setting, with individual tutors. Students will be supported with scientific writing skills, given pastoral support and opportunities for formative feedback.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Engagement with current developments in the biosciences and their application.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/bsx-1028.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C100: BSC Biology year 1 (BSC/B)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 1 (BSC/BF)
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 1 (BSC/BIOT)
- C512: BSc Biology with Biotechnology with International Experience year 1 (BSC/BIOTIE)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/BITE)
- C300: BSC Zoology year 1 (BSC/Z)
- C305: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour (with International Exp) year 1 (BSC/ZABIE)
- C335: BSc Zoology with Animal Management year 1 (BSC/ZAM)
- C38P: BSc Zoology with Animal Management with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ZAMP)
- C3L2: BSC Zoology with Conservation year 1 (BSC/ZC)
- C319: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies year 1 (BSC/ZCC)
- C327: BSc Zoology with Climate Change Studies w International Exp year 1 (BSC/ZCCIE)
- C3L3: BSc Zoology with Conservation with International Experience year 1 (BSC/ZCIE)
- C3L4: BSc Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ZCP)
- C30F: BSc Zoology year 1 (BSC/ZF)
- C304: BSC Zoology with Herpetology year 1 (BSC/ZH)
- C307: BSc Zoology with Herpetology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ZHIE)
- C324: BSc Zoology with International Experience year 1 (BSC/ZIE)
- C3C1: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology (with International Exp) year 1 (BSC/ZMB)
- C350: BSC Zoology with Marine Zoology year 1 (BSC/ZMZ)
- C36P: BSc Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ZMZP)
- C329: BSc Zoology with Primatology year 1 (BSC/ZP)
- C32P: Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ZPP)
- C330: BSc Zoology with Ornithology year 1 (BSC/ZR)
- C3P0: BSc Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ZRP)
- C3D3: BSC Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 1 (BSC/ZWAB)
- C3DP: BSc Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ZWABP)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 1 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 1 (MBIOL/BIOT)
- C302: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour year 1 (MZOOL/AB)
- C30P: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with Placement Year year 1 (MZOOL/ABP)
- CD34: MZool Zoology with Conservation year 1 (MZOOL/CONS)
- CD3P: MZool Zoology with Conservation with Placement Year year 1 (MZOOL/CONSP)
- C303: MZool Zoology with Herpetology year 1 (MZOOL/HERP)
- C325: MZool Zoology with Animal Behaviour with International Exp year 1 (MZOOL/ZAIE)
- C336: MZool Zoology with Animal Management year 1 (MZOOL/ZAM)
- C39P: MZool Zoology with Animal Management with Placement Year year 1 (MZOOL/ZAMP)
- C321: MZool Zoology with Climate Change year 1 (MZOOL/ZCC)
- CD35: MZool Zoology with Conservation w International Experience year 1 (MZOOL/ZCIE)
- C326: MZool Zoology with Herpetology with International Experience year 1 (MZOOL/ZHIE)
- C353: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology year 1 (MZOOL/ZMZ)
- C354: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with International Exp. year 1 (MZOOL/ZMZI)
- C37P: MZool Zoology with Marine Zoology with Placement Year year 1 (MZOOL/ZMZP)
- C306: MZool Zoology (with International Experience) year 1 (MZOOL/ZOIE)
- C301: MZool Master of Zoology year 1 (MZOOL/ZOO)
- C333: MZool Zoology with Primatology year 1 (MZOOL/ZP)
- C33P: MZool Zoology with Primatology with Placement Year year 1 (MZOOL/ZPP)
- C334: MZool Zoology with Ornithology year 1 (MZOOL/ZR)
- C3P4: MZool Zoology with Ornithology with Placement Year year 1 (MZOOL/ZRP)