Game Design 1
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Llyr Ap Cenydd
On this module, you will spend your time watching video games, talking about video games, and making video games. You will make use of a range of professional game creation tools to create a range of short projects to meet a series of game design challenges. These challenges will provide the opportunity to work with popular game mechanics and narrative designs, reflecting common game industry practices. All challenges will allow scope for individual creative expression.
Each week new techniques and principles are introduced during weekly seminar sessions, illustrated both by instructional explanations of the theory and through critical review of real-world examples. A regular series of animation challenges are provided which allow students to experiment with these techniques and principles and to develop their knowledge of the wide range of potential narrative and gameplay strategies. Students present work from the game challenges in an online portfolio that includes the game and a short reflective piece. Feedback from these occurs regularly throughout the semester, and the student chooses one piece to develop further.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Understand the ludological and narrative nature of video game.
Make creative use of game design principles.
Design games using a range of software tools.
Demonstrate knowledge of the range of game design genres and narratives.
Ability to produce video game prototypes using a range of game techniques.
|Game Prototype 1||20.00|
|Game Prototype 2||20.00|
|Game Prototype 3||20.00|
|Outline a proposal for an indie video game||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Game development workshops
Lecture / discussion introducing practical application of game design and project management principles
Work independently to design and produced games for assessment.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Recognise legal, social, ethical & professional issues
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial and economic issues
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Deploy tools effectively
- Work as a member of a development team
- Development of general transferable skills
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
This module requires access to the GameMaker game engine which is currently installed in John Phillips Hall.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-1801.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- I103: BSc Computer Science with Game Design year 1 (BSC/CSGD)