Advanced Game Development
Advanced Game Development 2022-23
School Of Computer Science And Electronic Engineering
Module - Semester 1
Llyr Ap Cenydd
Indicative content includes:
- Modeling + Animation - Meshes, rigging, UV mapping, skinning, inverse kinematics, key-frame animation, dynamic animation, blend trees, motion matching.
- Rendering - Rendering pipelines, cameras, lighting, lightmaps, volumes, blending, shadows, shaders, post-processing, particle systems, tessellation, real-time ray-tracing.
- Scripting - Common algorithms, API calls, vectors and quaternions
- Performance and Optimisation - Profiling, object pooling, level of detail, draw calls, batching, culling, mobile optimisation.
- Physics - Collision detection, rigid bodies, joints, articulated figures, soft bodies.
- Navigation and AI - Pathfinding, nav-meshes, finite state machines, behavioural trees.
- Procedural Generation - Procedural generation of environment, characters, animation, gameplay.
- New Technologies - Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, cloud computing.
- Misc - audio, input, haptics, streaming, networking, analytics, tools.
Threshold - Equivalent to 40%.Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Good - Equivalent to the range 60%-69%.Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Excellent -Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Critically reflect on different algorithms and techniques, and their impact on game development process and performance.
- Demonstrate intermediate C#/C++ programming skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of advanced game development concepts and techniques.
- Display knowledge of the state of the art and future of game development algorithms and techniques.
- Implement several advanced game development techniques in a game engine.
- Understand suitability of game development techniques across different platforms (PC, console, VR, mobile).
End of semester exam.
Implement game development showcase in Unity (Graphics). Submit screenshot/video and report.
Implement game development showcase in Unity (Interaction). Submit video/build and report.
Implement game development showcase in Unity (Gameplay). Submit video/build and report.