Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
40.000 Credyd neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Jennifer Cooney
The Dissertation module has been developed to allow you to produce an in-depth and critical review of relevant research literature in an area that interests you. This choice might be based on your current sport, hobby, future career aspirations or simply because you are interested in a particular subject. This module gives you the perfect opportunity for independent study, where you will explore the research literature and develop an in-depth understanding and appreciation of a particular area, that is pertinent to the field of Sport Science. The Dissertation module will encourage you to be a critical thinker and enable you to put into practice the many competencies that you have gained throughout your undergraduate studies.
Supervisory support will form an important part of the teaching method, but ultimately, most of the learning will be student-centred. In this module you will gain experience in scoping the literature to identify a relevant research question, how to develop a search strategy, how to extract data/relevant information, how to critically review the literature and how to report your findings in your dissertation. In addition to the supervisory support that you will receive, the module teaching staff will provide workshops on reviewing/critiquing the research literature, how to prepare a poster presentation and how to present your data in your presentation and final written report. This module provides the opportunity to put into practice the competencies that you have gained throughout your undergraduate studies and across a range of disciplines, as well as transferable skills such as critical thinking and being able to disseminate findings effectively.
Comprehensive knowledge • Detailed understanding • Extensive background study • Highly focussed answer and well structured • Logically presented and defended arguments • No factual/computational errors • Original interpretation • New links between topics are developed • New approach to a problem • Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
Insufficient to fulfil the associated learning outcomes • Deficiencies in knowledge even of key areas/principles • No evidence of understanding, even of main areas • No evidence of background study • Lacks a coherent structure • No arguments presented • Many factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • No links between topics are described • No attempt to solve problems • The presentation is very weak containing many inaccuracies
Most criteria are met to a good standard; there may be a wide range in the quality of different components of the dissertation
Knowledge of key areas/principles • Understands main areas • Limited evidence of background study • Answer focussed on question but also with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure • Arguments presented but lack coherence • Has several factual/computational errors • No original interpretation • Only major links between topics are described • Limited problem solving • Some weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
On successful completion of the module students will be able to:
Demonstrate an understanding of the processes in collecting information from a large body of research literature;
Be able to concisely and critically review a body of research literature;
Effectively synthesise and disseminate their research findings in a succinct manner via a written report and verbal communication
Will know how to compile a working bibliography.
Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of a chosen research area;
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Poster - Presentation Skills & Content (Assessment 2)||
Students are required to present their poster at the Year 3 Student Conference. Students will be asked to give an overview of their work and answer questions from their supervisor and verifier. Presentations should demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of their chosen area; concisely and critically review a body of research literature, employ accurate referencing.
|DISSERTATION||Written Dissertation (Assessment 3)||
Students are required to produce a critical literature review of their chosen topic (6,000-8,000 words). In their Dissertation students will be required to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of a chosen research area; be able to concisely and critically review a body of research literature; compile a working bibliography.
|CYNLLUN YSGRIFENEDIG||Written Plan (Assessment 1)||
You will need to submit a written account of progress to date, summary of supervisory meetings, evidence of compiling relevant research literature and a detailed critique of a relevant research paper (max 1500 words, 15% module mark) Learning Outcomes 1.
|Magazine Article & Tweet (Assessment 3)||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Supervisory support will form an important part of the teaching method and it is the students responsibility to arrange regular meetings with their supervisor. Most of the learning will be student-led, however, in order to support students in this process there will be some additional timetabled sessions - module introduction seminar at the start of Year 3 and workshops in semester 1 and 2. For September 2020 we will be starting the academic year with a blended learning approach in response to Covid 19. For the most up to date information on this please look at https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/september-faqs.php.en
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 4 (BA/ITSSC)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 4 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 4 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 4 (BA/SPSSC)
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 3 (BA/SPSW)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 3 (BSC/ASS)
- C883: BSc Clinical Sports Science year 3 (BSC/CLSPS)
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 3 (BSC/SHES)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 3 (BSC/SHPE)
- C615: BSc Sport Science (Outdoor Recreation) year 3 (BSC/SOAC)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 3 (BSC/SPS)
- C603: BSc Sports Science year 3 (BSC/SPSC)
- C60F: BSc Sports Science year 3 (BSC/SPSF)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 3 (BSC/SSB)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/SSIE)
- C6N5: BSc Sport Science & Marketing year 3 (BSC/SSM)
- CN5P: Sport Science and Marketing with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/SSMP)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 3 (BSC/SSOA)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 3 (MSCI/ASS)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 3 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 3 (MSCI/SS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 3 (MSCI/SSOA)