The Divided Germany
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Carol Tully
- To introduce students to the historical background of post-war Germany, and the emergence of different ideologies and cultures in East and West.
- To introduce students to key aspects of culture and society in the two German states.
- To introduce students to the issues facing Germany since reunification
- To investigate the relationship between historical events and their depiction in literary and filmic imagination.
- To develop skills in the close reading of texts and the critical analysis of film.
- To develop skills in essay writing and oral presentation.
The module will involve examination of the history of Germany and its journey to the country we know today.
Semester 1 will focus on its evolving political, social and cultural boundaries. Following an exploration of the origins of the modern German state, we will study key aspects of the divided nation following the Second World War and explore the impact of Reunification following the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
Semester 2 will centre on key socio-historical elements such as women's rights, the workplace, protest, terrorism and social disunity/disenfranchisement.
Students will be asked to read texts and/or watch video material from documentry, archival and cultural sources.
D- - D+: For the award of credit, students should demonstrate a satisfactory comprehension of the various topics studied, with some understanding of the correlations and interrelations highlighted.
C- - B+: For the award of higher grades, students should demonstrate a solid comprehension of the various topics studied, with clear understanding of the correlations and interrelations highlighted, having also analysed and evaluated key sources.
A- to A*: For the award of the highest grades, students should demonstrate a detailed and thorough comprehension of the various topics studied, with a nuanced understanding of the correlations and interrelations highlighted, having also analysed and evaluated key sources thoroughly
Gaining an overview of key dates and events in post 1945 Germany (East and West)
Display an understanding of the emergence of East and West Germany, and an awareness of their different ideologies and cultures.
Demonstrate the ability to explore a range of literary and cultural interests in each of the two Germanies.
Display critical reading skills and an awareness of film, literature and other arts as a cultural medium and historical text, and reflect on the nature, possibilities and limitations of a particular genre.
Display the ability to reflect on the relationship between historical events and their depiction in the literary, filmic and other artistic imagination.
Present arguments in presentations and essays, supported with literary and historical evidence.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Weekly seminar (1 x 24)
Semester 1: Each week, there will be a mini-lecture to give an overview of the topic followed by discussion using relevant materials (texts/video/web). Semester 2: There will be a combination of mini-lecture, discussion and text/film workshops.
Reading materials will be provided in advance via Blackboard
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
German reading skills German listening skills German comprehension skills
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/lxg-2013.html
See reading list via Blackboard
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N2R2: BA Business Management and German year 2 (BA/BMG)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- T105: BA Chinese and German year 2 (BA/CHG)
- T126: Chinese & German with Intl Exp year 2 (BA/CHGIE)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- W8R8: BA Creative Writing and Modern Languages year 2 (BA/CWML)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 2 (BA/ELG)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 2 (BA/FSGER)
- RR12: BA German/French year 2 (BA/G4F)
- NR42: BA German/Accounting year 2 (BA/GA)
- NR32: BA German/Banking year 2 (BA/GB)
- R2N2: BA German with Business Management year 2 (BA/GBM)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 2 (BA/GBS)
- T109: BA German with Chinese year 2 (BA/GCH)
- MR92: BA Criminology&CrimJustice/German year 2 (BA/GCR)
- LR12: BA German/Economics year 2 (BA/GEC)
- 3N7S: BA German and English Literature year 2 (BA/GEL)
- R200: BA German year 2 (BA/GER)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/GERCW)
- R2N1: BA German with Marketing year 2 (BA/GERMKT)
- R2R1: BA German with French year 2 (BA/GERWFR)
- R12R: BA German and French with International Experience year 2 (BA/GFIE)
- R2W6: BA German with Film Studies year 2 (BA/GFS)
- RR23: BA German/Italian year 2 (BA/GI)
- R2R3: BA German with Italian year 2 (BA/GI4)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 2 (BA/GJO)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 2 (BA/GMST)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 2 (BA/GPSY)
- RR24: BA German/Spanish (4 years) year 2 (BA/GS)
- R2R4: BA German with Spanish year 2 (BA/GS4)
- 8Y64: BA German and Spanish (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/GSIE)
- R2C6: BA German and Sports Science year 2 (BA/GSPS)
- RV21: BA History/German year 2 (BA/HG)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 2 (BA/LG)
- Q3R8: BA Linguistics and Modern Languages year 2 (BA/LML)
- NR52: BA Marketing and German (4 year) year 2 (BA/MKTGER4)
- R800: BA Modern Languages year 2 (BA/ML)
- R807: BA Modern Languages & Criminology & Criminal Justice year 2 (BA/MLCCJ)
- R805: BA Modern Languages & Cymraeg year 2 (BA/MLCYM)
- R801: BA Modern Languages and English Literature year 2 (BA/MLEL)
- R803: BA Modern Languages & Film Studies year 2 (BA/MLFS)
- R804: BA Modern Languages & History year 2 (BA/MLH)
- R802: BA Modern Languages & Media Studies year 2 (BA/MLMS)
- R806: BA Modern Languages & Philosophy, Ethics & Religion year 2 (BA/MLPRE)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 2 (BA/MUGE)
- W3R8: BA Music and Modern Languages year 2 (BA/MUSML)
- VVR2: BA Philosophy and Religion and German year 2 (BA/PRG)
- QR52: BA Cymraeg/German year 2 (BA/WG)