Advanced French 1
Advanced French 1 2023-24
School Of Arts, Culture And Language
Module - Semester 1
This module enables post A-level students to develop written and oral communicative skills in French by extending linguistic competence acquired at A-level. It comprises text-based classes in which students have the opportunity to develop translation and writing skills, as well as oral/aural classes, in which a range of audio and visual aids are employed to stimulate group discussions and debates. Throughout the module, students also have the opportunity to revise and consolidate key areas of grammar. The texts and materials used in this module are chosen from a range of sources in order to familiarise students with variations in tone and register. Through these materials, students will also gain an insight into particular Francophone themes and issues that relate to contemporary life and society in the French speaking world. Learning outside of the classroom is supported through a co-curricular Self-Study Portfolio.
- Apply new areas of vocabulary to written and oral work.
- Demonstrate an ability to extract and use information presented in French-language sources to answer questions in the target language.
- Employ key grammatical structures in written and oral work.
- Engage with French language in spoken form, understanding, reacting and responding to it in an interactive context.
- Explore and evaluate some of the key themes and debates dominating contemporary French culture
- Produce accurate and idiomatically correct written French
- Understand and translate written texts varying in style and register.