Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr David Pryce
The purpose and aims module are to introduce students to key aspects of the human immune system and human immunology, with direct relevance to the benchmark statements of an accredited IBMS Biomedical Science degree; which include the nature of acute and chronic inflammation, the structure, function and mechanisms of action of the components of the immune system; innate and acquired immunity, Clinical immunology, immunopathological conditions and abnormal immune function.
The module is divided into three main areas:
- Key concepts of the development of the human immune system and the nature of human immune responses
- Key concepts of Autoimmunity and Autoimmune Diseases, with focus on Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE).
- Key roles of the immune system in cancer development and current Cancer Immunotherapies
Lectures and tutorials will present summaries of core chapters of the module reference textbook and directed outside reading to key cutting edge peer-reviewed literature. The module lectures will conclude with a discussion of the development and use of 'immunotherapies' for cutting-edge clinical treatments.
The Clinical Report will provide experience in the generation and clinical interpretation of data derived from an ELISA analysis of serum samples derived from a patient diagnosed with the autoimmune disease Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE).
Core text chatpers
- Basic Concepts in Immunology
- Innate Immunity and induced Responses of Innate Immunity
- Antigen Recognition by B-cell and T-cell receptors
- The Generation of Lymphocyte Antigen Receptors
- Antigen Presentation to T Lymphocytes
- Signalling Through Immune System Receptors
- The Development and Survival of Lymphocytes
- T Cell-Mediated Immunity
- The Humoral Immune Response
- Dynamics of Adaptive Immunity
- Failures of Host Defense Mechanisms
- Manipulation of the Immune Response, via immunotherapy
C- i C+
Category C (50%-59%):
Completed assessments present relevant accurate taught material but may lack explanation and context. Statements are largely correct but not further supported. Essays, answers and reports are sufficiently coherent and well presented to demonstrate a sound understanding of module material.
Category D (40-49%):
Completed assessments present sufficient relevant accurate taught material to satisfy the learning outcomes of the module. Essays, answers and reports are sufficiently coherent and well presented to demonstrate threshold level 5 knowledge and understanding of module material.
Category A (70%-100%):
Completed assessments present very accurate relevant taught material, integrated with numerous directed outside core text-reading and some self-researched information sources. Essays, answers and reports present very coherent and well organised arguments that demonstrate excellent overall knowledge and understanding of all module material. Evidence of in depth critical thinking and wider reading are important for grades of A+ and above
Category B (60%-69%):
Completed assessments present overall good accurate relevant taught material, integrated with some directed core text outside-reading. Essays, answers and reports are well organised and structured, contain good coherent arguments, and demonstrate good overall knowledge and understanding of all module material.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the roles of the human immune system in cancer regulation and cancer immunotherapies
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the development, regulation and effectiveness of the human immune system in human health
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the nature of Autoimmunity and the diagnosis and human Autoimmune diseases
The practical report should consist of a professionally word-processed document submitted as a Word docx file, with file name indicating your student number and MSE2014 report e.g. 500...... MSE-2014 report. Full guidance and a report grading rubric are available on the module Blackboard site.
|ARHOLIAD||End of Module Exam||
The examination will take place during the end of semester 1 examination period, starting Jan 10th 2022 Full guidance on examination format and a grading report rubric are available on module Blackboard site.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Self-directed background reading, data analysis and processing and assessment preparation
|Practical classes and workshops||
The use of ELISA data to create a clinical prognosis of a patient suffering from the autoimmune disease, systemic lupus.
Please note this module will be delivered according to current Bangor University COVID-19 regulations
7 x 2hr Lectures
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/mse-2014.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C100: BSC Biology year 2 (BSC/B)
- C10F: BSc Biology year 2 (BSC/BF)
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (BSC/BIOT)
- C512: BSc Biology with Biotechnology with International Experience year 3 (BSC/BIOTIE)
- C102: BSc Biology (with International Experience) year 3 (BSC/BITE)
- C101: MBiol Master of Biology year 2 (MBIOL/BIO)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (MBIOL/BIOT)