Marine Mammal Observation
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr James Waggitt
This module focuses on the surveying and monitoring of marine mammals. Lectures will introduce students to species classification, species identification, conservation issues and field methods. Fieldwork will provide students with experience of boat-based and shore-based surveys - performing observations using a systematic technique, recording these observations using standardised forms, and processing these observations for subsequent analyses. Surveys will be performed in north Anglesey - a region known for frequent sightings of bottlenose dolphin, grey seal, harbour porpoise and Rissos dolphin. Specific skills introduced during fieldwork include identifying species, estimating group size, distinguishing between calves/juveniles/adults, determining behaviour, and assessing sea conditions. Computer practicals will teach students analysis in Access and GIS.
The module consists of a series of lectures, 1 shore-based survey, 1 boat-based survey and 2 computer practicals. Data collected during boat-based and shore-based surveys are then used to produce a report investigating relationships between the abundance of cetaceans and environmental conditions. If sufficient data is not collected during surveys, data collected during previous surveys will be used instead.
Limited knowledge and basic understanding reliant entirely on the taught programme.
Wider knowledge and moderate understanding based on the taught programme, but with evidence of enquiry beyond that. Able in data collection, data analysis and presentation. Understanding the limitations of methods used to collect data.
Extensive knowledge and comprehensive understanding based on the taught programme, and with extensive evidence of enquiry beyond that. Competent in data collection, data analysis and presentation. Understanding the limitations of the methods used to collect data, and suggestions as to how data collection might be improved.
Identify a range of marine mammal species.
Be familiar with surveys commonly used for marine mammals.
Record the abundance, ages and behaviour of marine mammals.
Assess sea conditions during surveys of marine mammals.
|PRAWF DEALLTWRIAETH||Species Identification||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Introduction to analysis in Access and GIS.
Introduction to species classification, species identification, conservation issues and field methods.
1 day of boat-based surveys and 1 day of shore-based surveys.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Help session for the 'Survey Report'.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C351: BSC Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 3 (BSC/MVZ)
- 2F11: BSc Marine Vertebrate Zoology (with International Experience year 4 (BSC/MVZIE)
- C168: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 3 (MSCI/MVZ)