Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Ama Eyo
This module aims to ensure that students gain an understanding of the types of interests protected by Tort law including how to apply the law accurately in different circumstances.
The module will allow students to study a range of issues within Tort Law, including but not limited to:
- Negligence, including its basic principles, duty and standard of care, causation and breach of duty;
- Medical Negligence including liability for psychiatric injuries;
- Product Liability
- Liability of Public Bodies;
- Personal Tort such as Defamation;
- Land Tort such as Nuisance & the Rule in Rylands v Fletcher, Trespass to Land and Occupier’s Liability;
- Defences and Limitations in Tort Law;
- Remedies and Compensation in Tort Law.
A- to A* (70+%) An outstanding answer containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in a clear, logical, critical argument with little room for improvement. An answer which demonstrates a complete mastery of the subject.
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%) An answer which, while always in the main accurate and correct, fails to distinguish between relevant and irrelevant material and is lacking in criticism. An answer which while reliable with regard to correctness is either not comprehensive or not entirely pertinent.
B- to B+ (60-69%) High Standard: A comprehensive answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in an argument which, while clear, logical and critical, leaves room for improvement in its construction and presentation. An answer which shows complete competence in the subject.
D- to D+ (40-49%) An answer which, while predominantly correct in its presentation of material, contains a significant level of error and is therefore not entirely reliable.
Demonstrate knowledge of the contents of key areas of Tort Law and apply the knowledge to solve problems raised in actual or hypothetical scenarios.
Identify, synthesise and critically evaluate the general defences in Tort Law including the rules relating to the assessment of damages.
Demonstrate an ability to analyse and critically discuss the competing policy considerations and their impact on the development of Tort Law.
Reflect critically on the role of the Tort Law in the civil justice system and the society more generally and carry out effective research on those issues using both primary and secondary sources.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The module requires students to undertake private study in order to complete tutorial preparation, an essay and exam preparation. Students will be expected to engage with a range of academic sources to demonstrate further research.
The module will be taught by means of 40 hours of lectures over the course of one semester. Lectures are delivered weekly and are two-hours in length.
There will be 6 hours of tutorials over the course of one semester. Tutorials would take place in 1 hour slots in Weeks 24,- 26 and 28 - 30.
Tutorials will routinely require students to engage individually and in groups in acquiring, commenting upon, critically evaluating and applying the principles and details of the subject under the guidance and instruction of the tutor.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop the ability to interpret legal rules and employ techniques of legal reasoning competently and efficiently in order to offer a range of solutions and conclusions to actual or hypothetical complex legal problems, all supported by relevant academic literature, jurisprudence and legislative research. Such solutions will be clearly communicated and presented
- Develop the ability to analyse complex legal issues, set against the background of the political, social, economic or cultural contexts in which they may arise
- Develop those skills which are necessary for scholarship and research in legal subjects, namely the ability to identify relevant primary and secondary legal sources and to retrieve accurate legal information using paper and electronic sources
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students should have a copy of the key textbook.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/sxl-3212.html
The Core Textbook for the module are:
- K. Horsey and E. Rackley, Tort Law, 6th edn., OUP. 2019; or
- C. Elliot and F. Quinn, Tort Law (12th edn., Pearson Longman, 2019)
- Blackstone’s Contract, Tort and Restitution Statute 2021-2022
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- M1M1: LLB English Law and French Law year 3 (LLB/ELFL)
- M101: LLB Law (2 year) year 3 (LLB/LAW2)
- M1M0: LLB English Law and French Law year 3 (LLB/UKLFL)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 3 (BA/BUSALAW)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- M212: LLB Criminal Law year 3 (LLB/CL)
- M21P: LLB Criminal Law with Placement Year year 4 (LLB/CLP)
- M115: LLB Law with English Literature (International Experience) year 3 (LLB/ILEL)
- M100: LLB Law year 3 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (LLB/L1)
- M1N4: LLB Law with Acc and Finance year 3 (LLB/LAF)
- M1NB: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (LLB/LAF1)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 3 (LLB/LBS)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (LLB/LBS1)
- MT11: LLB Law with Chinese year 4 (LLB/LC)
- MT12: LLB Law with Chinese (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LCIE)
- M1W1: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing year 3 (LLB/LCMW)
- M1W2: LLB Law with Creative Media Writing (International Exp) year 4 (LLB/LCMWI)
- M116: LLB Law with French (European Experience) year 4 (LLB/LFE)
- M117: LLB Law with German (European Experience) year 4 (LLB/LGE)
- M1V1: LLB Law with History year 3 (LLB/LH)
- M1V2: LLB Law with History (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LHI)
- M102: LLB Law (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LI)
- M103: LLB Law with Accounting & Finance (Intl Exp) year 4 (LLB/LIA)
- M104: LLB Law with Business Studies (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LIB)
- M105: LLB (European) Law with French year 4 (LLB/LIC)
- M108: LLB Law with Social Policy (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LIF)
- M110: LLB Law with Welsh (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LIH)
- M113: LLB Law with Criminology (Intl Exp) year 4 (LLB/LIK)
- M118: LLB Law with Italian (European Experience) year 4 (LLB/LITE)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 3 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 4 (LLB/LMSI)
- M10P: LLB Law with Placement Year year 4 (LLB/LP)
- M1L2: LLB Law with Politics year 3 (LLB/LPOL)
- M1V5: LLB Law with Philosophy and Religion year 3 (LLB/LPR)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 3 (LLB/LPSY)
- M119: LLB Law with Spanish (European Experience) year 4 (LLB/LSE)
- M1L4: LLB Law with Social Policy year 3 (LLB/LSP)
- M1LB: LLB Law with Social Policy (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (LLB/LSP1)
- M1Q5: LLB Law with Welsh year 3 (LLB/LW)
- M1M9: LLB Law with Criminology year 3 (LLB/LWCR)
- M1MB: LLB Law with Criminology (4 yr with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (LLB/LWCR1)
- M1MP: LLB Law with Criminology with Placement Year year 4 (LLB/LWCRP)
- M1QK: LLB Law with English Literature year 3 (LLB/LWEL)