Identities in Childhood and Youth
Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Anne-Marie Smith
This module is underpinned by an understanding of childhood and youth as elements that are socially constructed, and explores the intersection of gender, race, and ethnicity in the context of children and young people’s lives. What it means to be a ‘boy’ or a ‘girl’, and ideas around ‘masculinities’ and ‘femininities’ in contemporary society will be explored in relation to contexts such as education, the media, family, and peer cultures. Through the lenses of gender and race, the module explores how children and young people’s identities are shaped, portrayed and negotiated in contemporary society. The module aims to encourage students to challenge stereotype and prejudice, and to think about the complexities involved in the pursuit of equality and social justice in childhood and youth.
Weekly sessions will be based on key readings and will involve group discussions, debate as well as lecture and workshop content. Key areas of content include: Concepts of gender and race Intersectionality White Privilege the self, social identity, children & young people's sense of self Institutional racism and sexism - the role of media and education Gender schema theory 21st century & redefining gender norms Gender identities Heteronormativity and young people's sexual identities Ideals of beauty and the role of fashion brands and marketing Hegemonic masculinity Dominant discourses of femininity and beauty Stereotyping and prejudice
Excellent: A- to A* A comprehensive and well-informed (making excellent use of research) knowledge and understanding of: social ideas of race and gender; how institutions and popular culture influence children and young people's knowledge of race or gender; the impact of sexism and racism on children and young people's identities.
threshold: D-, D, D+ A satisfactory knowledge and understanding of: social ideas of race and gender; how institutions and popular culture influence children and young people's knowledge of race or gender; the impact of sexism and racism on children and young people's identities.
Good: C-, C. C+ A good knowledge and understanding (making some good reference to research) of: social ideas of race and gender; how institutions and popular culture influence children and young people's knowledge of race or gender; the impact of sexism and racism on children and young people's identities.
Demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of race and gender as socially constructed ideas
Critically engage with dominant ideas of masculinity and femininity and their potential impact on the identities of children and young people
Critically evaluate the role played by popular media and institutions in shaping children and young people’s identities and understandings of gender and/or race
Critically analyse, discuss and reflect upon the effects of sexism and racism in society generally and on children and young people in particular
|Written assignment, including essay||Critical review of two children's films||
Write a critical review of two children’s films/tv shows (e.g Disney), focusing on their representation of different groups in society, with a particular consideration of issues and portrayals relating to race and gender. Consider the potential impact on children’s sense of identity, making use of key literature and ideas covered in semester 1.
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Creative pesentation in pairs||
Representation of a 21st century boy and/or girl: Based on current research and debates, create an original representation of a 21st century boy and/or girl; your ‘creation’ should address issues of gender stereotyping and sexism in society. This assignment asks you demonstrate your engagement with current research in order to develop a line of thought and argument. This is a key transferable skill for employability contexts.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Independent research, reading and task preparation for weekly sessions.
Fortnightly lectures of 2 hrs each
Fortnightly 1hr seminars to follow on from lectures
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath