All external bookings and events must go via the Conference Office in the first instance. The Conference Office will seek to ensure that the event is a success and suitable health and safety measures and support is provided.
University Events (Colleges, Schools and Services)
Where events are arranged from within the University, be this by Schools or a Society, certain health and safety considerations must form part of your planning.
The vast majority of events are well managed and well planned, allowing for an enjoyable and successful occasion. However, this is not always the case and difficulties can be experienced. Primarily these are down to lack of proper or thought-out planning.
If you are planning an event it is crucial that you:
- Inform Central Bookings/Timetabling and confirm the event
- Inform the Security Section and confirm car parking and pedestrian safety arrangements
- Identify whether there is a need for a more detailed risk assessment of the event, this would consider all aspects including access and practical demonstrations
- Inform Governance & Compliance if the event involves attendance by children
- Ensure you’ve planned for general event supervision and possible emergencies
- Do you need an electrician or want furniture removed? You will need to contact Campus Services if so
- Inform other building users if the event is likely to disturb their activities
- If the event will involve alcohol the Conference Office must be contacted to confirm compliance with licensing legislation
- Post event - check to ensure there are no 'legacy' issues caused by the event which require action (for example boxes/rubbish requiring disposal, damaged flooring needing Campus Services to repair)
If you are planning a major event involving many dozens or hundreds of people, it would be best that you contact Security and your Health and Safety Coordinator (possibly Health and Safety) at the earliest opportunity.
Example Risk Assessments
- Example Exhibition on University Premises Risk Assessment
- Example Hosting a Conference with External Guests Risk Assessment
- University Policy: Children on University Premises (health and safety)
- University Policy: Under 18s (child protection)
- University Conference Office