Deans of Colleges / Heads of Departments

Who is going to help me?

Health and Safety Services will help, your colleagues will help and maybe there are outside experts that can help. Your starting point should be your own Health and Safety Coordinator and the HSS team.

There are also professional bodies that provide support and guidance, such as the Health and Safety Executive and Higher Education organisations such as UCEA and USHA.

Health and Safety Services acts as the University's source of competent health and safety advice (as required by law) and one of our main purposes is to provide competent and useful advice for all at the University. The Department not only sets standards, interprets legislation and monitors performance but it is also a source of help and advice to Deans of Colleges / Heads of Departments, Safety Coordinators and others. Health and Safety Services cannot and does not manage health and safety within your College or Department, that is up to you as the person in control, but we will offer support and advice on everything we are competent to do so. 

When Health and Safety Services cannot offer specific advice, because of the specialism involved etc., Health and Safety Services will guide you in the right direction and obtain as much information as practicable to assist you. However, external experts will occasionally be required to help (eg devising safe operating systems for use of a specialist medical scanner), such specialist advice can often be sourced from within the higher education sector and research community.

Your College / Departmental Safety Coordinator is your key local source of day-to-day help and assistance and should be trained and competent to oversee health and safety within the College / Department. Within your College / Department you will also have a number of highly competent members of staff who will be able to help you with more specific advise; for example Field Work Coordinators, Radiation Supervisors, Display Screen Equipment Assessors.

Your College / Department Health and Safety Committee can also help oversee health and safety management systems across the College / Department and will help bring together interested parties and local experts.

The primary message is you are not alone and HSS will support you throughout.