Earth, Climate & Evolution
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Jaco Baas
- To present the controlling factors that determine environmental change on geological time scales.
- To examine the properties of the rocks of the earth and their use as evidence of environmental change.
- To introduce basic geological paradigms and concepts for reconstruction of earth history.
- To present the major events in the temporal evolution of the Earth's environment and their relation to biological evolution.
An exploration of environmental change, including climate change, and its impacts on biological evolution on geological time scales. An introduction to the geological tools and techniques used to decipher and interpret the geological and fossil records. The module examines how the earth works in terms of tectonics, climate, geological cycle, and sea level change, including (1) earth structure and plate tectonics and an introduction to climate and climate change; (2) the materials of the earth are studied: the formation and properties of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks and the evidence they provide for environmental change over geological time; (3) the significance of the fossil record and its importance for understanding evolution; and (4) major events in earth history, e.g. its origin, the origin of life, evolution of bacteria and multicellular organisms, significant biological changes from the late Precambrian to the Quaternary, major climate and eustatic events in geological history. There is emphasis on Quaternary changes – climatic cycles and anthropogenic impacts – since these still resonate in the present-day environment.
Basic knowledge based on directly taught programme; basic understanding of geological paradigms, concepts and principles; basic ability to use geological materials and evidence in the laboratory and field to formulate and test hypotheses on environmental change and biological evolution; basic knowledge of climate and climate change.
Good knowledge based on directly taught programme; good understanding of geological paradigms, concepts and principles and their application; good ability to use geological materials and evidence in the laboratory and field to formulate and test hypotheses on environmental change and biological evolution; good knowledge of climate and climate change.
Excellent knowledge based on directly taught programme; excellent understanding of geological paradigms, concepts and principles and their application; excellent ability to use geological materials and evidence in the laboratory and field to formulate and test hypotheses on environmental change and biological evolution; excellent knowledge of climate and climate change.
Understand the essential properties of the major rock types of the earth and the processes that form them .
Use geological material and evidence in the laboratory to formulate and test hypotheses about ancient environments and geological history.
Understand the principle processes which govern the earth's environment on various temporal and spatial scales.
Synthesise and evaluate geological evidence to identify the main events in the physical, chemical and biological evolution of the earth.
Understand and apply geological concepts and principles, within a plate tectonics paradigm, to interpret the geological record.
Understand how environment and climate have changed in the geological and recent past and how this contributes to the debate on environmental issues and future climate change.
Make simple observations in the laboratory and field to identify rock types, geological processes and geological history .
Understand how geological, climatic and eustatic events influence biological evolution and human activity.
|Rocks and Minerals Practical||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Two 1-hour lectures per week. Blended learning approach, using combination of synchronous online, asynchronous online and on-campus live delivery.
Two 3-hour field trips, using virtual delivery, if needed.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Two 3-hour practical sessions. Blended learning approach, using combination of synchronous online, asynchronous online and on-campus live delivery.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Field work clothes needed for field trips
Earth by Press and Siever
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F650: BSC Geological Oceanography year 1 (BSC/GEO)
- F62F: BSc Geological Oceanography year 1 (BSC/GEOF)
- F800: BSC Geography year 1 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- 8S54: BSc Geological Oceanography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOIE)
- F842: BSc Marine Geography year 1 (BSC/MARG)
- CF17: BSC Marine Biology/Oceanography year 1 (BSC/MBO)
- F710: BSC Marine Environmental Studies year 1 (BSC/MES)
- F713: BSc Marine Environmental Stud with International Experience year 1 (BSC/MESIE)
- F79P: BSc Marine Environmental Studies year 1 (BSC/MESP)
- F7F6: BSc Ocean and Geophysics year 1 (BSC/OGP)
- F700: BSC Ocean Science year 1 (BSC/OS)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 1 (BSC/PGO)
- F84P: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PGOP)
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/GO)
- F712: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/MBO)
- F71P: MSci Marine Biology and Oceanography with Placement Year year 1 (MSCI/MBOP)
- F734: MSci Physical Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/PO)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ESIE)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 1 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 1 (MENVSC/ESIE)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 1 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 1 (MGEOG/GIE)