Leadership and HRM
Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Clair Doloriert
The purpose of this module is to examine leadership and the innovations and issues in the field of contemporary human resource management (HRM). This second year module provides a specialist focus on how people are led, managed and developed in the global workplace. The key aims are to study the key theories, concepts and models that underpin positive leadership impact and to develop an understanding of the complex issues facing human resource (HR) specialists and line managers in meeting their responsibilities for selecting, deploying, training, appraising, rewarding, relating to, retaining and sometimes releasing human resources.
Development of the HR function; Strategic HRM; Human resourcing: human resource planning, recruitment and selection; Human Resource Development: facilitating learning and talent management; Reward and performance management; The employment relationship: grievance & discipline, managing diversity, health & well-being, employee engagement; Integrating HRM: HR as a profession, HR in crisis, manager roles in HR practice; Globalisation and international HRM. Leadership/management development and other aspects of Recruiting, Managing and Resourcing leaders.
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
A- to A+ (70%+): Outstanding Performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
Understand and evaluate key activities and challenges involved in developing human resources, workplace learning and facilitating Human Resource Development and the key role of leadership and management within this.
Understand and discuss the various contexts for Human Resource Management and Leadership including; private sector, public sector, not for profit, co-operatives, small-to-medium sized enterprises; and how HRM initiatives can help build organisational resilience
Be able to discuss contemporary issues within HRM and Leadership including; managing diversity, health and well-being and employee engagement, psychological contract, and working from home/ virtual working.
Understand and evaluate the main concepts of leadership including theories, practice and process; cross-cultural leadership, gender and ethic diversity in leadership; and more contemporary sustainability and ethical leadership; and how excellence in leadership can help build organisational resilience.
Introduce, define and understand human resource management and Leadership, their chronological development and key theories and models
Understand key elements of HRM including Employee Recruitment, Retention and Reward, Employee Relations, Performance Management and Human Resource Development; explaining different theories, practices and processes and how these link to excellence in leadership
End of Semester Two Exam - held in May
|Written assignment, including essay||Assignment||
A short critical essay on a HRM/ Leadership topic that requires you to define, compare & contrast and apply theory in practice. Full details will be provided at the start of each semester.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lectures, class discussions and case-studies within a two-hour lecture per week in each semester.
A one two-hour seminar held once a semester; semester one is to prepare students for their assignment. Semester two is to prepare students for their exam.
Private Study (Lecture preparation/ reading around subject (journals, textbooks, internet etc); assignment preparation, writing assignment, exam preparation)
Two hours of office hours per semester, specifically for students on this module - to come and speak/ discuss with lecturer following feedback from assignments (semester 1) or prior to exams (semester 2)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- People management: to include communications, team building, leadership and motivating others.
- Problem solving and critical analysis: analysing facts and circumstances to determine the cause of a problem and identifying and selecting appropriate solutions.
- Research: the ability to analyse and evaluate a range of business data, sources of information and appropriate methodologies, which includes the need for strong digital literacy, and to use that research for evidence-based decision-making.
- Commercial acumen: based on an awareness of the key drivers for business success, causes of failure and the importance of providing customer satisfaction and building customer loyalty.
- Innovation, creativity and enterprise: the ability to act entrepreneurially to generate, develop and communicate ideas, manage and exploit intellectual property, gain support, and deliver successful outcomes.
- Ability to work with people from a range of cultures.
- Articulating and effectively explaining information.
- Communication and listening including the ability to produce clear, structured business communications in a variety of media.
- Self-management: a readiness to accept responsibility and flexibility, to be resilient, self-starting and appropriately assertive, to plan, organise and manage time.
- Self reflection: self-analysis and an awareness/sensitivity to diversity in terms of people and cultures. This includes a continuing appetite for development.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N2T1: BA Business Management and Chinese year 2 (BA/BMCH)
- N2R1: BA Business Management and French year 2 (BA/BMFR)
- N2R2: BA Business Management and German year 2 (BA/BMG)
- N2R3: BA Business Management and Italian year 2 (BA/BMI)
- N2M1: BA Business Management and Law year 2 (BA/BML)
- N2R4: BA Business Management and Spanish year 2 (BA/BMS)
- N1R1: BA Bus Stud with French year 2 (BA/BSFR)
- N1R2: BA Business Studies with German year 2 (BA/BSGER)
- N1R3: BA Business Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/BSIT)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/BSMIE)
- N1R4: BA Business Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/BSSP)
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- N1T1: BA Business Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/BUSCH)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- N100: BA Business Studies year 2 (BA/BUSS)
- NR1C: BA Business Studies/French year 2 (BA/BUSSF)
- NR1F: BA Business Studies and German year 2 (BA/BUSSG)
- NR1H: BA Business Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/BUSSI)
- N102: BA Business Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/BUSSIE)
- NR1K: BA Business Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/BUSSS)
- R1NC: BA French with Business Studies year 2 (BA/FBS)
- R2NC: BA German with Business Studies year 2 (BA/GBS)
- R4N1: BA Spanish with Business Studies year 2 (BA/SPBS)
- N109: BSc Bus Analytics w Financial Tech year 2 (BSC/BAFT)
- N201: BSc Business Management (Bangor Uni International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBM)
- N105: BSc Business Studies (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBS)
- N106: BSc Business Stud & Finance (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBSF)
- NN24: BSc Management with Account (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMNA)
- N200: BSc Business Management year 2 (BSC/BM)
- N20B: BSc Business Management (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BM1)
- N2ND: BSc Business Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/BMA)
- N3NF: BSc Business Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/BMAF)
- N2NP: BSc Business Management with Accounting with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/BMAP)
- NN23: BSc Business Management and Finance year 2 (BSC/BMF)
- NN2B: BSc Business Man & Finance (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BMF1)
- NN2F: BSc Business Management and Finance year (BSC/BMFINF)
- NN2P: Business Management and Finance with Placement Year year (BSC/BMFP)
- N101: BSc Business Studies year 2 (BSC/BS)
- N10B: BSc Business Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BS1)
- NN1H: BSc Business Studies and Finance year 2 (BSC/BSFIN)
- NN1J: BSc Business Studies and Finance (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSFIN1)
- N2NK: BSc Management with Accounting year 2 (BSC/MWACC)
- N2NL: BSc Management with Accounting (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/MWACC1)
- C8N2: BSc Psychology with Business Management year 2 (BSC/PBM)
- C82B: BSc Psychology with Business (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/PWB1)
- 2R88: BSc Psychology with Business with International Experience year 2 (BSC/PWBIE)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Management year 2 (BSC/SSB)
- M1N1: LLB Law with Business Studies year 2 (LLB/LBS)
- MN1B: LLB Law with Business (4year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/LBS1)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N107: BA Business year 2 (BA/BUS)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 2 (BSC/BEC)
- L19B: BSc Business Economics (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BEC1)
- L19F: BSc Business and Economics year 2 (BSC/BECF)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 2 (BSC/BECIE)
- L19P: BSc Business Economics with Placement Year year 2 (BSC/BECP)
- L192: BSc Business Economics (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICBE)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 2 (BSC/BICMRK)
- N2N5: BSc Business Management and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BMM)
- N2NC: BSc Business Man & Marketing (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BSC/BMM1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 2 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 2 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 2 (BSC/CISB)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 2 (BSC/CISB1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BSC/MKT1)
- N50F: BSc Marketing year 2 (BSC/MKTF)