Financial Technology 2022-23
Bangor Business School
Module - Semester 2
Owain ap Gwilym
The module provides insights into the dynamic phenomenon of financial technology. A range of real-world developments are framed in the context of technology-enabled financial services. Awareness of a rapidly developing academic literature is blended with a strong practical emphasis.
Credit, deposit and capital raising e.g. mobile banking, crowdfunding. Payments, clearing and settlement services e.g. peer to peer transfers. Investment management technology e.g. high frequency trading. Regulation, cyber risk and risk management. Market support services e.g. distributed ledger technology and blockchain.
-threshold -D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
-good -B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
-excellent -A- to A+ (70%+): Outstanding Performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
-another level-C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the contexts which have given rise to different views on managing technological change in financial services;
- Identify the main spaces where these theories, views and framework emerged;
- Identify the various dimensions of technical change and automation.
- Recognize the large number of cultural, political, economic and environmental factors that gave rise to different forms and practices across countries and cultures;
- Recognize the main elements and features of alternative conceptual elements to understand innovation in banking;
Individual or pair working on a case study.