Earth Systems and Processes
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Graham Bird
This is a module that introduces and explores the key concepts relating to the geosciences and the study of the physical environment. The module focuses on study of earth systems and the connectivity of earth processes occurring within the atmosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and the biosphere. The module introduces major fields of study within the geosciences (e.g., meteorology, geomorphology, hydrology, climatology) and also provides an introduction to key geological concepts and processes. The module is suitable for those with or without science backgrounds.
Key module topics will include:
- Earth systems and earth processes: introduction and key concepts
- The Geosphere: key geological concepts and processes.
- Weathering processes
- The atmosphere: global and regional atmospheric circulation
- Atmosphere-Ocean interaction: influence on climate, ENSO & NAO cycles & cyclones
- The hydrosphere: introduction to the hydrological cycle, run-off generation & basic principles of hydrology.
- Glacial environments: introduction to ice-mass description, ice mass movement and glacial geomorphology.
- The biosphere: introduction to soils
- The biosphere: introduction to biogeography
- Introduction to global biogeochemical cycles: the Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles.
Grade A- and above Students demonstrate a thorough understanding of the Earth's systems and processes, including an ability to appreciate complex linkages between the different components included in the module and evidence of enquiry and a knowledge base that extends well beyond the directly taught programme. Thorough and critical understanding of key underlying concepts is demonstrated. No factual errors are evident.
Grade B- to B+ Students demonstrate a good understanding of the Earth's systems and processes, including an ability to appreciate simple linkages between the different components included in the module and some evidence of enquiry and extension of a knowledge base beyond the directly taught programme. No major omissions or inaccuracies in factual understanding and demonstrates a good grasp of theoretical and conceptual elements. Evidence of good integration of information from a variety of sources.
C- i C+
Grade C- to C+ Students Demonstrate a basic understanding of the Earth's systems and their processes based on individual components of the directly taught programme. No major omissions or inaccuracies in factual understanding but lacking critical analysis.
Grade D- to D+ Students Demonstrate a basic understanding of the Earth's systems and their processes based on individual components of the directly taught programme. Some factual inaccuracies evident but overall understanding is demonstrated.
Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of temporal and spatial scales in relation to the study of earth processes and systems.
Demonstrate an understanding of theories, paradigms, concepts and principles of physical processes within the Earth and its atmosphere.
Demonstrate an accurate understanding of endogenic and exogenic earth processes.
Demonstrate an understanding of the inter-relationship of processes occurring within earth systems.
|GWAITH CWRS||Online test 1||10.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Online Test 2||15.00|
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Class Test||15.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
13x1 and 8x2 hour lectures
|Practical classes and workshops||
2x3 hour practical activity 1x2 hour film showing
Private and guided self-study
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Demonstrate the independence and skills required for continuing professional development
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-1005.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
- DXX-2015: Geog F/work & Research Skills
- DXC-3003: Gwaith Maes: Barcelona
- DXX-3709: Geographicical Thought
- DXX-4104: Geographical Thought
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 1 (BA/GEOG)
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BA/GEOG4)
- L701: BA Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/GEOGIE)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 1 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 1 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F650: BSC Geological Oceanography year 1 (BSC/GEO)
- F62F: BSc Geological Oceanography year 1 (BSC/GEOF)
- F800: BSC Geography year 1 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F802: BSc Geography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOGIE)
- 8S54: BSc Geological Oceanography (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/GEOIE)
- F842: BSc Marine Geography year 1 (BSC/MARG)
- F710: BSC Marine Environmental Studies year 1 (BSC/MES)
- F713: BSc Marine Environmental Stud with International Experience year 1 (BSC/MESIE)
- F79P: BSc Marine Environmental Studies year 1 (BSC/MESP)
- F7F6: BSc Ocean and Geophysics year 1 (BSC/OGP)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 1 (BSC/PGO)
- F84P: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PGOP)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 1 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 1 (MGEOG/GIE)
- F652: MSci Geological Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/GO)
- F734: MSci Physical Oceanography year 1 (MSCI/PO)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ES)
- F901: BSc Environmental Science (4 yr with placement) year 1 (BSC/ES4)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 1 (BSC/ESF)
- 8U71: BSc Environmental Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/ESIE)
- F700: BSC Ocean Science year 1 (BSC/OS)
- F70P: BSc Ocean Sciences with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/OSP)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 1 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 1 (MENVSC/ESIE)