Using Geographical Data
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Graham Bird
Students will explore the key milestones in the development of geography and how geography found its territory as an academic discipline. You will investigate some the key frameworks through which geographical data, knowledge and understanding has been produced. You will explore the theoretical and practical considerations that underpin contemporary research and be able to think critically about research on topics that interest you.
Module topics may typically include:
- What makes something geographical and what is geographical data?
- The foundation of Geography and geography not cosmography
- The role empire in the development of geography
- Key paradigms in geographical research and the the production of geographical knowledge and data
- Identifying research gaps and proposing research.
Grade B- to B+ The seminar papers demonstrates an accurate and at times critical, understanding of key concepts. There is success in applying concepts to new scenarios, but with room for improvement in the depth of analysis and criticality. A coherent argument is presented but with some minor gaps.
Annotated bibliography & Research Proposal Demonstrates good engagement with the relevant literature and is able to identify areas for further research and a focused research question. There is well-developed context provided, but there is limited room for improvement regarding the rationale provided. They meet most of the requirements, but could be improved in terms of style and/or content.
Grade D- to D+ The seminar papers demonstrates a generally accurate understanding of key concepts and attempts to apply concepts to new scenarios, but with rom for improvement in the depth of analysis. A coherent argument is presented but with some gaps.
Annotated bibliography & Research Proposal Demonstrates some limited engagement with the relevant literature and is able to identify areas for further research. There is some context provided, but this could be strengthened in terms of rationale for the research. They meet most of the requirements, but could be improved in terms of style and/or content.
Grade A- to A** The seminar papers demonstrates well-developed, highly accurate and critical, understanding of key concepts. Concepts are successfully applied to new scenarios and logical and coherent argument is presented.
Annotated bibliography & Research Proposal Demonstrates extensive engagement with the relevant literature and clearly identifies a focused research question within a broader area of possible research. There is highly-developed context provided, with strong rationale and evidence of criticality. All of the requirements are met and work is prese3nted in a highly-developed written style.
C- i C+
C- to C+ The seminar papers demonstrates an accurate understanding of key concepts. There has been an attempt to apply concepts to new scenarios, which is factually correct, but with room for improvement in the depth of analysis and criticality. A coherent argument is presented but with some minor gaps or scope for improvement in presentation style.
Annotated bibliography & Research Proposal Demonstrates engagement with the relevant literature but with scope to improve the quality and/or range of sources used. Shows an ability to identify areas for further research but could strengthen the focus on a specific research question. There is some context provided, which is good in places but with room for improvement regarding the rationale provided. They meet the requirements, but could be improved in terms of style and/or content.
Identify and contextualize a research question within the subject of geography.
Synthesize and critically evaluate existing research
Accurately explain geographical concepts and apply them to new scenarios
Communicate information clearly and concisely using both oral and written means.
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Seminar Paper 1||10.00|
|CYFLWYNIAD UNIGOL||Seminar Paper 2||10.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Annotated bibliography||30.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Research Proposal||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
3 * 1 hour and 2 * 3 hour seminars
Private and guided self-study including preparing for assessments
1 * 2 hour workshop
10 * 2 hour and 1 * 1 hour lectures
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Engagement with current subject developments and their application.
- Engage in debate and/or discussion with specialists and non-specialists using appropriate language.
- Demonstrate the independence and skills required for continuing professional development
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3709.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
- F805: MGeog Geography with International Experience year 4 (MGEOG/GIE)