Prof Reflection & Develop (WB)
Professional Reflection and Personal Development (Work-Based) (Rhos) 2023-24
School of Computer Science & Engineering
Module - Semester 1 & 2
Indicative content includes:
- Identify the purpose of the communication, the audience and the outcomes to be achieved. Decide which method of communication to use and the level of formality required
- Make concise, engaging and well-structured verbal presentations, arguments and explanations of varying lengths, with and without the use of media, always considering the audience viewpoint
- Competent in active listening, appreciating others views and contributions
- Give and receive feedback by constructively applying appropriate techniques and incorporate it into his/her own development and life-long learning
- Effectively prepare and deliver presentations using relevant presentation media products and the use of appropriate visualisations and images to present information and ideas clearly and convincingly
- Be fluent in written communications with the ability to articulate complex issues, selecting an appropriate structure and with appropriate tone, style and language
- Be competent at promoting, questioning, negotiating and closing techniques in a range of interactions and engagements, both with internal and external stakeholders
- Prepare for and chair effective meetings with clear agendas and defined outcomes, keeping to time, and preparing clear outcomes or ‘meeting minutes’ in a timely manner
- Be creative, self-motivated, resilient, self-aware and able to reflect on successes and failures in ways that strengthen positive attitude and develop self-reliance through an understanding of their own personal preferences, styles, strengths and weaknesses
- Can identify the preferences, motivations, strengths and limitations of other people and apply these insights to work more effectively with and to motivate others
- Can understand the outputs from and apply insights by using personal profiling tools such as Myers Briggs Type Indicator or Kirton Adaption/Innovation Indicator
- Can put forward, demonstrate value and gain commitment to a moderately complex technology-oriented solution, demonstrating understanding of business need, using open questions and summarising skills and basic negotiating skills
- Apply analytical and critical thinking skills to engineering solutions development
- Analyse problems rigorously to develop options, and select an option appropriately taking into consideration relevant factors such as risk, opportunities, cost, environmental issues, and fitness for purpose.
- Capability to deal with different, competing interests within and outside the organisation and work under pressure
- Deal with discord and confrontation including conducting difficult conversations
- Conduct effective research using literature and other media, into engineering and business-related topics
- Gather information from people using a variety of techniques including interviewing
- Have gained an understanding of performance evaluation tools and can demonstrate competence in designing and applying performance evaluation tools (e.g. 360-degree feedback)
- Have gained an understanding of the importance of learning strategies and techniques in own development, life-long learning and for corporate learning and development
- Understand the principles of personal development planning, and create, implement and maintain a personal development portfolio and a personal action plan
- Understand the importance of acting with personal and professional integrity while always remaining focused and disciplined
- Plan and implement own work goals, objectives, priorities and responsibilities with others
- Understand how to motivate others and get the best from people
- Within the team, communicate identify different abilities and potential and show respect for individuals
- Understand how high performing teams work effectively to produce engineering solutions, work with team members to identify and solve problems and disagreements, share feedback with others on the achievement of team objectives and making promoting improving team-working
- Understanding of the importance of applying effective work habits, and leadership, providing clarity, direction and accountability and proactively acting when necessary
- Understand leadership theory, and different leadership styles and models
-threshold -Equivalent to 40%.Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
-good -Equivalent to the range 60%-69%.Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
-excellent -Equivalent to the range 70%+.Assemble critically evaluated, relevant areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
- Evaluate current level of communication skills and devise plans to improve them.
- Judge current abilities to work independently and within a group, and recognise improvements to become a more effective member of an organisation.
- Recognise current personal and professional attributes and suggest methods to align them with the 'ideal' engineer.
Logbook Or Portfolio
Communications Skills Portfolio Work based e-portfolio on methods of communications used and how they have improved of the course of time
Logbook Or Portfolio
Professional/Personal Attributes Portfolio Work based e-portfolio on independent study, team working and team management within the organisation, action plans set by the work based assessor and employer delegate.
Logbook Or Portfolio
Team & Independent Working Portfolio Work based e-portfolio on methods of personal and professional attributes and how they have improved due to action plans set by the work based assessor.