Practical Water Based Skills
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Stuart Beattie
Based in the stunning surroundings of Snowdonia's rivers and valleys, and the accompanying rugged coastline of North Wales, the aim of this module is to provide students with practical paddlesport activities in which the scientific studies of human responses to the outdoors and performance in the outdoors can be examined. Students will have practical days out on Anglesey and in the Snowdonia National Park where canoe, kayaking, and paddleboarding skills will be taught on the lakes, rivers, estuaries, and coastline of this stunning area.
The Practical Water Based Skills module ensures that you are equipped with a solid platform from which you can develop as an academic and practitioner both during your time as an undergraduate and beyond. Basic skill development will focus on the competencies required to operate safely as a group member in inland and coastal environments. The practical activity is supported by short podcasts and/or classroom sessions aimed at developing awareness and understanding associated with safe participation in paddlesports. Although many of the practical days are stunning and it’s great to get out of the classroom, please note that participation in this module does require a commitment of time and effort in an often cold, and potentially hazardous environment. Finally, all teaching staff are British Canoeing Assessors and UKCC/BC Performance Coaches, which enables the University to provide you with the opportunity to gain nationally recognised governing body awards, helping you to be ‘employment ready’ on graduating.
You have demonstrated good awareness and understanding associated with safe participation in canoeing and kayaking. You have also demonstrated an ability to adapt to changing environmental hazards, with help at times from an instructor. Finally you have have shown a good level of skill development in the competencies required to operate safely as a group member in inland and coastal environments.
You have demonstrated a high degree of awareness and understanding associated with safe participation in canoeing and kayaking. You have also demonstrated an ability to adapt to changing environmental hazards without help from an instructor. Finally you have shown a significant level of skill development in the competencies required to operate safely as a group member in inland and coastal environments.
You have demonstrated a basic awareness and understanding associated with safe participation in canoeing and kayaking. To ensure learning outcomes are met and health and safety is maintained, practical sessions are compulsory. Please not that if you miss more two or more of the ten practical sessions without genuine mitigating circumstances you will fail the module, due to not meeting learning outcome 1 regarding participation.
Participate safely, within a group, while canoeing and kayaking in inland and coastal environments.
Identify, understand and adapt to the changing environmental hazards associated with canoeing and kayaking.
Develop and understand basic competencies and skills that underpin safe participation in canoeing and kayaking.
|Paddlesport Reflective Journal and Workbook||50.00|
|Multi-day Tidal Passage Plan and Risk Assessment||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study devoted to pre-sessional work either reading or watching key videos regarding technique to be applied in the practical sessions (approximately 1 hour per session – 10 hours in total). Research for and completion of journals (assignment 1 approximately 2 hours per entry – 10 hours in total). Research for and completion of assignment 2 approximately 10 hours.
Two 3-hour seminars reviewing the assignment tasks and student’s progress for each assignment. These will take place two weeks before each assignment deadline.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Practical sessions in Year 1 take place on Wednesdays with Snowdonia Watersports (SWS) and alternate with the land-based practical sessions. During these sessions, you will learn and/or improve upon your canoe, kayak and paddleboarding skills, with a view to prepare you for coaching and leadership assessments in year 2. Whatever your experience staff at SWS will build on them and take each person to their next level. Practical sessions last approximately 6 hours.
Additional online tutorials for feedback regarding assignment preparation are available by arrangement between the issue date and deadline.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- project manage and execute practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- recognise and respond to moral, ethical, sustainability and safety issues that directly pertain to the context of study including relevant legislation and professional codes of conduct
- undertake fieldwork with continuous regard for safety and risk assessment.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- accurately interpret case study data
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Equipment: It is strongly recommended that all students buy as a minimum a pair of neoprene gloves and neoprene socks or boots. Socks are cheaper than boots and can be used inside an old pair of trainers for paddlesport activities. All National Governing Body (NGB) course fees are paid for by the University, certificates however will need to be purchased by the student. Follow this link to see the current fees for British Canoeing certificates. During year 1 you can expect to gain one or two Personal Paddling Certificates, e.g., the Start and Explore awards. In addition, you will complete Foundation Safety and Rescue Training (FSRT) Certificate and potentially the Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning (CNTP) courses. None of the certificates are compulsory to buy unless you intend to qualify as a Paddlesport Instructor and/or Leader in Year 2 in which case you must purchase the FSRT and Explore certificates.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-1023.html
Semester 1 Core Reading
Ferrero, F., & British Canoe Union. (2002). Canoe and kayak handbook (3rd ed.). Bangor: Pesda.
Kolb, D.A. (2021) Experiential Learning Theory. Retrieved from https://learningfromexperience.com/themes/experiential-learning-theory-videos/
Moon, J. (2013). A Handbook of Reflective and Experiential Learning Theory and Practice. (1.st ed.). Hoboken: Taylor and Francis.
Kolb, D. (1984). Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
Semester 2 Core Reading
Collins, Loel, Giblin, Matthew, Stoszkowski, John Robert, & Inkster, Allison. (2020). A study of situational awareness in a small group of sea kayaking guides. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning, 1-17.
Ferrero, F. (2007). Sea kayak navigation (2nd ed., A practical manual). Caernarfon: Pesda Press.
Morris, T. (2006) Sea Kayaking in Ferrero, F., & British Canoe Union. (2006). The British Canoe Union coaching handbook. Caernarfon: Pesda.