Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Edgar Hartsuiker
This second year module consists of a series of lectures and associated practicals. Students successfully completing this module should have developed a conceptual understanding of several aspects of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, relevant for molecular mechanisms of disease.
The lectures (20 in total) build on the 1st year "MSE-1007 Foundation in Molecules and Cells" module.
Subjects covered in the lectures are: DNA structure, replication, stability and inheritance; transcription, RNA processing, splicing and translation; post-translational modification and structure of proteins, enzyme kinetics; genome organisation and epigenetics; metabolism and bioenergetics.
The module also contains 6 practical days on applied molecular methodologies covering a range of key technologies (reverse transcription, PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis, protein expression and SDS-PAGE).
C- i C+
Category: C- to C+ (50%-59%)
The student should demonstrate factual knowledge across all aspects of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, meeting a reasonable proportion of learning outcomes. The presented material is only based on the lectures and practicals with some knowledge gaps. Very limited evidence of thinking critically about the subject.
Category: A-A* (70%-100%)
An excellent student should demonstrate a sophisticated understanding of DNA, RNA and protein structure and function, the biological links between these molecules and their wider roles within the cell. Coverage of learning outcomes should be comprehensive and accurate, and additionally there should be clear evidence that the student has extended their reading beyond the module content (either through the scientific literature or citable online resources).
Evidence of critical thinking and wider reading is essential for A+ and A* marks.
Category: B- to B+ (60-69%)
The student should demonstrate good factual knowledge across all aspects of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, meeting the majority of learning outcomes, and additionally demonstrate an ability to think critically about the subject.
The content is largely based on the lectures & practicals. Limited evidence of critical thinking.
Category: D- to D+ (40%-49%)
The student should be able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of the essential facts and key concepts of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. The knowledge is only based on the lectures and practicals. There are significant knowledge gaps or a misunderstanding of the understanding of DNA, RNA and protein structure and function, the biological links between these molecules and their wider roles within the cell.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of protein structure and function
Demonstrate knowledge and a conceptual understanding of the key biological functions of DNA, RNA and proteins
Demonstrate knowledge and conceptual understanding of bioenergetics and the catalytic mechanisms of enzymes
Demonstrate knowledge and conceptual understanding of genome organisation and regulation of gene expression
Demonstrate a competence in performing common molecular biological techniques (pipetting, dilution, setting up enzymatic reactions, polymerase chain reaction, gel electrophoresis, data recording and analysis) Demonstrate appropriate numerical and descriptive data analysis skills. Demonstrate formal scientific reporting skills, including use of graphs, figures and tables
Demonstrate knowledge and a conceptual understanding of the processes of DNA replication, recombination and repair; transcription and RNA processing; translation and protein folding
|Practical Report Semester 1||50.00|
|Exam semester 2||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The core of the module consists of 20 lectures. There will be extensive formative feedback, with online quizzes and short answer questions on blackboard that allow the students to test their factual knowledge, and prepare for the exam. Some key concepts will be illustrated in the practicals.
|Practical classes and workshops||
The module will encompass a total of 5 practical days. Practicals will illustrate some key concepts as covered in the lectures and teach practical skills
For private study, students will be guided by formative quizzes and essay questions on Blackboard, to help them revise and prepare for the exam. Total time for self study also includes the time required for writing up the two practical reports.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Books should be available in library
Molecular Biology of the Cell, Alberts et al., Garland Science; 6th edition (2 Dec. 2014)
The Biology of Cancer, Weinberg, Garland Science; 2nd edition (2 Jun. 2014)
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C511: BSc Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (BSC/BIOT)
- C512: BSc Biology with Biotechnology with International Experience year 3 (BSC/BIOTIE)
- C510: MBiol Biology with Biotechnology year 2 (MBIOL/BIOT)