Marine Mammal Observation
Rhedir gan School of Ocean Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr James Waggitt
This module focuses on marine mammal survey techniques. Teaching is divided into lectures, fieldwork and workshops. Lectures will introduce students to conservation issues, data requirements and survey techniques. Fieldwork will provide students with experience of boat-based and shore-based surveys; performing observations using a systematic technique, recording these observations on standardised forms, and processing these observations for analyses. Experienced observers from the Sea Watch Foundation will help students identify species, estimate group-size, distinguish between age classes, determine behaviour, and assess sea conditions. Both surveys are performed in north Anglesey; a region associated with frequent sightings of bottlenose dolphin, grey seal, harbour porpoise and Rissos dolphin throughout the year. Workshops will introduce students to analyses in R Statistics.
This module will guide students through the survey process - introducing them to observation techniques in the classroom, providing practical experience of these techniques in-the-field, and analysing data using appropriate software. Students will be formally and informally assessed throughout the module. First, students will develop their observation skills in an 'Identification Test' using photographs of UK species. Second, students will apply these observation skills to collect data on the abundance and distribution of marine mammals along the north Anglesey coastline. Finally, students will use their data to produce a 'survey report' investigating relationships between marine mammals and environmental conditions within this region.
Limited knowledge and basic understanding reliant entirely on the taught programme.
Wider knowledge and moderate understanding based on the taught programme, but with evidence of enquiry beyond that. Able in data collection, data analysis and presentation. Understanding the limitations of methods used to collect data.
Extensive knowledge and comprehensive understanding based on the taught programme, and with extensive evidence of enquiry beyond that. Competent in data collection, data analysis and presentation. Understanding the limitations of the methods used to collect data, and suggestions as to how data collection might be improved.
Analyse and report on data collected during surveys.
Be familiar with surveys commonly used for marine mammals.
Identify a range of marine mammal species.
Record the abundance, ages and behaviour of marine mammals.
Assess sea conditions during surveys of marine mammals.
|PRAWF DEALLTWRIAETH||Species Identification||20.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Survey Report||80.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Introduction to conservation issues, data requirements and survey techniques.
1 day of boat-based surveys and 1 day of shore-based surveys.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Analysis for the 'Survey Report'.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C351: BSC Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 3 (BSC/MVZ)
- 2F11: BSc Marine Vertebrate Zoology (with International Experience year 4 (BSC/MVZIE)
- C35P: BSc Marine Vertebrate Zoology with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/MVZP)
- C168: MSci Marine Vertebrate Zoology year 3 (MSCI/MVZ)