The English Literature Dissertation
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
40.000 Credyd neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Sue Niebrzydowski
To allow students to work intensively and under individual supervision on a carefully defined topic, proposed by the student and refined in consultation with the supervisor.
To teach students how to structure an extended programme of independent research.
To encourage critical self-reflection on research and learning.
This module involves the production of an extended piece of critical writing of a length and quality appropriate to the culmination of the undergraduate degree scheme. Drawing on knowledge and critical methodologies learned earlier in the degree, students will be assisted via lectures and individual supervisions in devising, refining, developing and presenting a substantial piece of critical work on a topic of their choosing. The series of introductory lectures and workshops will focus on how to develop the initial research idea into a workable project presented in appropriate scholarly form. Critical self-reflection will be developed via the proposal and oral presentation in the first semester, and via discussions with the supervisor that are held at key stages in the development of the project in both semesters.
Typically, work graded D- to D+ (or 40 to 49) will show many of the following qualities: • Unsure and lacking in confidence when discussing ideas • Referring to the subject in question in a superficial manner • Making an effort to provide fairly balanced answers • Some points in the argument irrelevant to the topic • Little evidence of background reading • Some uncertainty over language and syntax • Strengths and weaknesses fairly balanced; occasionally clumsy and unimaginative • In creative work: superficial • Not succeeding in mastering the requirements of the medium
Typically, work graded B- to B+ (or 60 to 69) will show many of the following qualities: • Discusses ideas adeptly • Most of the arguments about a specific field are well-aired • Displays knowledge of the subject in question; the answer is relevant • Shows analytical and clear thought • Gives evidence of relevant reading • Shows accuracy in expression with mastery over language. • A few minor errors here and there. • Signs of creative thought deserve a higher position within the class • In creative work: shows signs of originality, having understood the requirements of the medium • Plans of well-balanced and full answers, despite some gaps
Typically, work graded A- to A** (or 70 to 100) will show many of the following qualities:
• Discusses ideas with confidence and precision • Demonstrates maturity and sophistication • Displays deep knowledge of the subject in question; the answer is totally relevant • Shows independent, analytical and clear thought • Gives evidence of substantial and relevant reading • Shows great accuracy in expression, displaying total mastery over all aspects of the language • Shows occasional signs of brilliance and originality of thought • In creative work: displays considerable originality • Command over medium; may have potential for publication/production
compile a working bibliography
give an oral presentation and defend it
produce a detailed proposal
understanding of the structure and rationale of literary research
work effectively with at least one research methodology and understand its theoretical implications
research a significant topic of the student’s choice
produce an extended piece of scholarly writing with appropriate documentation.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lectures will explore the stages of writing a dissertation, features of the dissertation, offer guidance in giving a presentation and opportunity for students practice to present before their peers.
Under the guidance of the supervisor
Six, half hour supervisions with the supervisor in order to receive guidance on the development and writing of the dissertation.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxe-3099.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 3Q5Q: BA Cymraeg and English Literature year 3 (BA/CEL)
- 2P78: BA English Lit with Creative Writing with International Exp year 4 (BA/ECI)
- Q310: BA Eng Lit with Eng Lang year 3 (BA/ELEL)
- 3QV1: BA History and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELH)
- 09V3: BA English Literature and Italian year 4 (BA/ELI)
- 3YT5: BA English Literature and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELIS)
- 065C: BA English Literature with Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJ)
- 1Q3Q: BA Linguistics and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELL)
- QQC3: BA English Lang and Lit year 3 (BA/ELLIT)
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/ELLITF)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- 32N7: BA English Literature & Music with International Experience year 3 (BA/ELMIE)
- 32M8: BA English Literature with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/ELTP)
- M3Q9: BA English Literature and Criminology and Criminal Justice year 3 (BA/ENC)
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/ENCW)
- 2P1P: BA English Literature and Creative Writing with Place Yr year 3 (BA/ENCWP)
- 8H25: BA English Literature year 3 (BA/ENGL)
- 2D13: BA English Literature with Creative Writing year 3 (BA/ENGLC)
- 8H2P: BA English Literature with Placement Year year 3 (BA/ENGLP)
- 8H26: BA English Literature (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/ENIE)
- 06CD: BA French and English Literature year 4 (BA/FEL)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/FSEL)
- 3N7S: BA German and English Literature year 4 (BA/GEL)
- T124: BA English Literature & Chinese year 4 (BA/LITCH)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- R801: BA Modern Languages and English Literature year 4 (BA/MLEL)
- 3VQV: BA Philosophy and Religion and English Literature year 3 (BA/PREN)
- 3L3Q: BA Sociology and English Literature year 3 (BA/SEL)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 3 (MARTS/ELCW)
- Q321: MArts English Literature with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/ELIE)
- Q320: MArts English Literature year 3 (MARTS/ELIT)