Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Sarah Cooper
This module provides students with a deeper understanding of how to conduct research in phonetics. The module will focus on phonetic transcription, acoustic phonetics and the experimental investigation of speech production. It aims to provide students with information on a selection of techniques for transcribing and analysing spoken language, allowing the student to make sense of speech data collected in the field or in a laboratory.
1. to introduce students to the advanced study of phonetics including speech production and the acoustic analysis of speech,
2. to make students aware of the concepts, theories, and methodologies characteristic of this field of study,
3. to provide training in how to conduct research in this area of study, including data collection and analysis.
This module will cover topics such as:
- experimental data design,
- recording speech,
- sociophonetic variation,
- speech technology,
- analysing the acoustic properties of sounds,
- reading waveforms and spectrograms,
- relating waveforms and spectrograms to articulation,
- analysing fundamental frequency (pitch),
- using speech analysis software.
Student has achieved the minimum acceptable standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all the learning outcomes.
Student can demonstrate a minimum level of understanding of the basic concepts and be able to apply them to data with some degree of accuracy.
Student has achieved a better-than-average standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all or most learning outcomes, and has a clear and accurate understanding of concepts; ability to apply concepts to data critically and thoughtfully; evidence of wide reading and clear and accurate reference to source materials; free from misunderstanding and errors of content; free from irrelevant material.
Student has achieved a thorough standard of understanding and/or knowledge in all learning outcomes; or student has demonstrated an advanced level of achievement in one or more learning outcomes together with a good overall standard.
Student has achieved a thorough understanding of the subject, both in terms of content and theory; student is able to apply concepts clearly and accurately; evidence of critical and original thought and analysis; clear, logical argument; high level of communicative competence; free from irrelevant material and errors of spelling and punctuation; evidence of extensive reading beyond basic texts and clear and accurate references to source material.
Students will demonstrate skills in recognising, transcribing and analysing a range of speech sounds.
Students will understand how speech sounds are produced and perceived in isolation and in running speech.
Students will be aware of the theory and techniques underlying the acoustic analysis of speech.
Students will know how to collect and analyse speech data.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
In their own time, students will be expected to do further reading, go through materials covered in class and do further research on the topics, and prepare assignments.
One 2-hour lecture per week (over 11 teaching weeks)
One 1-hour seminar/practical per fortnight for discussion of issues from lectures, exercise tasks and brief presentation tasks; Seminars will include practical problem solving and analytical exercises via individual and group work.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Writing & scholarly conventions - students will be able to present data, argumentation, findings and references in written form in keeping with the conventions current in language science and English language studies.
- Analysis & interpretation skills - students will be able to analyse, interpret data accurately, and draw appropriate conclusions based on the application of appropriate analytic and theoretical frameworks available in linguistics and English language studies.
- Evaluation & reflection - students will be able to critically evaluate a particular position, viewpoint or argument in relation to a specific area of investigation. They will be able to reflect on the efficacy of a particular approach, practice or performance, and moderate these as a consequence in order to achieve specific goals.
- Awareness of and appreciation for linguistic and cultural differences - students will develop an awareness of and an appreciation for the range and nature of linguistic and cultural diversity
- Knowledge of linguistic theory and application - students will demonstrate a detailed knowledge of terms, issues, principles, aspects and best practices related to the study of human language and linguistics.
- Proficiency in the use of English in reading, writing, speaking and/or listening - students will demonstrate proficiency in their ability to use and understand English in a range of different contexts and via different media.
- Understanding of the nature and organization of language - students will demonstrate familiarity with observations and findings relating to various aspects of linguistic phenomena and organization.
- Knowledge of the nature of language origins, change and use - students will demonstrate familiarity with phenomena and findings relating to the nature of language origins, the way language changes, and factors involved in and affecting language use.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxl-3325.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T101: BA Chinese and Linguistics year 4 (BA/CHL)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- Q301: BA English Language year 3 (BA/EL)
- QQ3M: BA English Language & Cymraeg year 3 (BA/ELC)
- T123: BA English Language and Chinese year 4 (BA/ELCH)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 4 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 3 (BA/ELCW)
- Q310: BA Eng Lit with Eng Lang year 3 (BA/ELEL)
- QR3C: BA English Language and French year 4 (BA/ELFR)
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 3 (BA/ELFS)
- QR3F: BA English Language and German year 4 (BA/ELG)
- Q312: BA English Language (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/ELIE)
- QR3H: BA English Language and Italian year 4 (BA/ELIT)
- PQ54: BA English Lang & Journalism with International Experience year 3 (BA/ELJIE)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJO)
- 1Q3Q: BA Linguistics and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELL)
- QQC3: BA English Lang and Lit year 3 (BA/ELLIT)
- QQCF: BA English Language & English Lit [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/ELLITF)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 3 (BA/ELMS)
- Q30P: BA English Language with Placement Year year 3 (BA/ELP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 3 (BA/ELPSY)
- Q318: BA Eng Lang for Speech & Language Therapy (Subj to Validn) year 3 (BA/ELSLT)
- LQ3J: BA English Lang. & Sociology year 3 (BA/ELSOC)
- QR3K: BA English Language and Spanish year 4 (BA/ELSP)
- Q315: BA English Language for TEFL year 3 (BA/ELT)
- Q3Q2: BA English Language w English Lit year 3 (BA/ENGEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 3 (BA/FSELAN)
- QR13: BA Italian/Linguistics year 4 (BA/ITL)
- Q1Q3: BA Ling with Eng Lit year 3 (BA/LEL)
- Q140: BA Ling & the Eng Lang year 3 (BA/LELA)
- QR11: BA Linguistics/French year 4 (BA/LFR)
- QR15: BA Linguistics and French with International Experience year 3 (BA/LFRIE)
- QR12: BA Linguistics/German year 4 (BA/LG)
- Q100: BA Linguistics year 3 (BA/LING)
- Q104: BA Linguistics (with International Experience)) year 4 (BA/LINGIE)
- Q3R8: BA Linguistics and Modern Languages year 4 (BA/LML)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 3 (BA/LP)
- QR14: BA Linguistics/Spanish year 4 (BA/LSP)
- QQ31: BA Linguistics & the English Language with International Exp year 4 (BA/LWEL)
- LQ31: BA Sociology/Linguistics year 3 (BA/SL)
- QQ15: BA Cymraeg and Linguistics year 3 (BA/WL)
- Q102: MArts Bilingualism year 3 (MARTS/BILING)
- Q316: MArts English Language for TEFL year 3 (MARTS/ELT)
- Q317: MArts English Lang for TEFL with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/ELTI)
- Q105: MArts Linguistics with International Experience year 3 (MARTS/LIE)
- Q101: MArts Linguistics year 3 (MARTS/LING)