Creative Writing: The Novel
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Ms Alys Conran
- Introduce students to a wide range of novels and long distance
- Introduce students to ideas and techniques employed by writers of novels.
- Introduce students to query and synopsis writing, and to the publishing world/market from a writer’s perspective.
- Provide practice in essential editorial skills.
Creative Writing: The Novel will guide you through the ways and means of writing a full-length novel. You will be taught methods of composition and creation of novels, including practical and analytical consideration of novelistic structure, viewpoint, voice and role-play, and developing style and tone. The course includes, with reference to the practical application of these elements, consideration of the variety of forms relevant to the contemporary novel, comparing and contrasting novels, present and past, with other forms of creative writing. It will also cover synopsis and query writing, the publishing tree, and writers and rejections.
The study of fiction-writing at Level 2 provides a valuable opportunity for independent exploration and innovation. While you may choose to work in a particular fictional genre, you will be encouraged to extend its boundaries by challenging market-led stereotypes. At all times you will be encouraged to produce work of high literary and imaginative quality, enhanced by a professional standard of presentation.
Typically, work graded D- to D+ (or 40 to 49) will show many of the following qualities:
Limited engagement with ideas. Link between themes and form not always clear. Limited sense of formal conventions. Inconsistent with regard to linguistic technicalities. Limited awareness of redrafting and editing process. Work in need of some revision
C- i C+
Typically, work graded C- to C+ (or 50 to 59) will show many of the following qualities:
Some attempt at serious exploration of ideas. Some link between themes and form. Good attempt to engage with form, but this may not be entirely sustained. Use of language technically proficient, but not always focused. Some awareness of the creative process and of decisions made in writing. Good work, but its strengths need to be more fully sustained to reach publishable standard.
Typically, work graded A- to A** (or 70 to 100) will show many of the following qualities:
Excellent levels of originality, vision and depth; striking and thorough engagement with ideas. Excellent understanding and control of form. Impressive linguistic control and/or innovation. Sophisticated understanding of the creative process and assured control of decisions made in writing. Dynamic work approaching publishable standard.
Typically, work graded B- to B+ (or 60 to 69) will show many of the following qualities:
Demonstration of a degree of vitality and originality. Very good understanding of generic conventions; sound use of structures and forms. Resourceful use of language. Sound understanding of the creative process and thoughtful control of decisions made in writing. Very good work, which at times comes close to publishable standard.
Knowledge of a broad range of imaginative literature.
Knowledge of novel-writing techniques.
An awareness of the importance of revision and editing in bringing your work to a near-professional standard.
The ability to write concise, expressive, grammatical English.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
One hour seminar for 22 weeks. The module is delivered via a weekly one-hour seminar over the course of two semesters. The role of the seminars is to raise general issues of relevance to creative writing and the novel, supplemented by workshops offering diagnostic feedback on the student's own creative writing. Some use is made of student presentations and small-group work.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An understanding of creative and critical processes, and of the wide range of skills inherent in creative writing. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Knowledge of a wide range of canonical English texts, providing a confident understanding of literary traditions as well as the confidence to experiment and challenge conventions when writing creatively. (English Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- An awareness of writing and publishing contexts, opportunities and audiences in the wider world (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Awareness of how different social and cultural contexts affect the nature of language and meaning (English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Reflective practitioner skills, including awareness of the practice of others in collaborative learning (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/qxp-2004.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- 2P78: BA English Lit with Creative Writing with International Exp year 2 (BA/ECI)
- 2P17: BA English Literature and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/ENCW)
- 2D13: BA English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/ENGLC)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FSCW)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- Q2W9: MArts English Literature with Creative Writing year 2 (MARTS/ELCW)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 2 (BA/CPW)
- 8G55: BA English Language with Creative Writing (with Int Exp) year 3 (BA/ELCIE)
- Q3WL: BA Eng Lang with Creat Writ year 2 (BA/ELCW)
- R1W8: BA French with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FRCW)
- R2W8: BA German with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/GERCW)
- 8M74: BA Spanish with Creative Writing (with International Exp) year 2 (BA/SCIE)
- R4W8: BA Spanish with Creative Writing year 2 (BA/SPCW)