Rhedir gan School of Law
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Ian Winrow
Labour Law is an optional module in the LLB programme. The module discusses three interrelated aspects of employment law, namely the law relating to the recruitment of staff, the law relating to the workplace and the law relating to the termination of employment. It begins by exploring how the relationship between employer and employee is created and thereafter focuses on issues of equality, safety, employment protection, and collective action.
The module provides a historical outline and an evaluation of the rules of the various institutions involved. The substantive content includes contract formation, equality rights, family friendly policies, employment protection, and collective action.
Third Class: 40-49 : An answer which, while predominantly correct in its presentation of material, contains a significant level of error and is therefore not entirely reliable.
Lower Second: 50-59 : An answer which, while always in the main accurate and correct, fails to distinguish between relevant and irrelevant material and is lacking in criticism. An answer which while reliable with regard to correctness is either not comprehensive or not entirely pertinent.
Upper Second: 60-69 : A comprehensive answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in an argument which, while clear, logical and critical, leaves room for improvement in its construction and presentation. An answer which shows complete competence in the subject.
First Class: 70-100 : An outstanding, possibly brillant, answer, containing all the material relevant to the question and no irrelevancy, all the material and references being accurate and correct, there being no inaccuracy or error, the whole presented in a clear, logical, critical argument with room for improvement. An answer which demonstrates a complete mastery of the subject.
Demonstrate an understanding of the history of legal intervention in the context of employment law, including the development of the unions, together with an appreciation of the role of the key institutions involved in practical and judicial dispute resolution.
Outline the nature of a contract of employment, employment status and the concept of Flexicurity in the workplace.
Explain how the law has developed in order to try and ensure equality in employment.
Explain the duties placed on employers and employees in the context of securing a safe and healthy place to work..
Identify and apply the rights and remedies to which employees may be entitled on dismissal and/or redundancy and/or TUPE Regulations.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The module will be delivered by seminars of four hours per week over one semester. The seminars will include lecture-style teaching as well as interactive workshops in which students will be required to engage individually and in groups in acquiring, commenting upon and applying the principles and details of the subject under the guidance and instruction of the tutor.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop the ability to interpret legal rules and employ techniques of legal reasoning competently and efficiently in order to offer a range of solutions and conclusions to actual or hypothetical complex legal problems, all supported by relevant academic literature, jurisprudence and legislative research. Such solutions will be clearly communicated and presented
- Develop the ability to analyse complex legal issues, set against the background of the political, social, economic or cultural contexts in which they may arise
- Develop those skills which are necessary for scholarship and research in legal subjects, namely the ability to identify relevant primary and secondary legal sources and to retrieve accurate legal information using paper and electronic sources
Honeyball & Bowers' textbook on employment law / Simon Honeyball Discrimination law / edited by Malcolm Sargeant Selwyn's law of employment / Astra Emir Labour law / Simon Deakin ; Gillian S. Morris Employment law : an introduction / Stephen Taylor, Astra Emir
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- NM11: BA Business and Law year 2 (BA/BUSALAW)
- NM1B: BA Business and Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/BUSLAW1)
- M100: LLB Law year 2 (LLB/L)
- M11B: LLB Law (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (LLB/L1)