Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
40.000 Credyd neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Steffan Thomas
This module consists of two parts, a research methods component in the autumn semester which is assessed by means of a 2,000-word research response to the company brief, and a period of supervised research culminating in the submission of a 10,000-word written report or equivalent industrial case study portfolio.
This module provides students with an opportunity to study the skills and methodologies necessary to the production of a piece of critical research and/or research by practice, and to carry out a sustained research project with the support of an individual supervisor within the context of an industrial partner's brief. Students will be expected to provide the company partner themselves, (rather than be assigned one by the school) Students will provide an initial, one-page response to the company brief in the Spring of their second year after registering for the dissertation and gaining an industrial partner. A supervisor will be assigned to the student based on this proposal. During the first semester ten hours of research methods workshops will be held, at the end of which students will be expected to complete an extended research response. Topics to be covered in semester 1 include: management of a research project and expectations how to formulate a research question research methods for the Arts and Humanities research ethics research-led practice and practice-led research writing and communication skills for academics and stakeholders archival and digital research writing a dissertation proposal structuring a dissertation Students will meet with their supervisor on a regular basis during the two semesters. Final thesis or industrial portfolios will be submitted at the end of Semester 2.
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates: • Very good structure and logically developed arguments. • Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student. • Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning. • Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
C- i C+
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates: • Good structure and logically developed arguments. • At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student. • Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning. • Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways: • Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent. • Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study. • Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows: • Generally accurate but with omissions and errors. • Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning. • Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions. • Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Apply a range of study skills and methodologies appropriate to research in the Arts and Humanities.
Embed a substantial piece of academic or practice-based research within an appropriate set of cultural, social, institutional, economic and/or critical frameworks.
Work independently to deadline over a sustained period of time.
Define a coherent research question, and design and implement a programme of study to investigate this question.
Develop a relationship with an industrial partner, gaining industry insights and enhancing your future employment skills.
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Progress Log||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 hour workshop per week for the first six weeks of autumn semester plus additional workshops in weeks 11 of autumn semester and week 2 of Spring semester. Additional optional workshops available in School and College; students are expected to attend at least 2 hour long workshops in addition to the mandatory programme.
3 hours of contact periods with supervisor (usually 15mins per week with supervisor)
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 3 (BA/CPW)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 3 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/CST1)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 3 (BA/CWMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 4 (BA/FSCH)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/FSCW)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/FSEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 3 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 4 (BA/FSFR4)
- W622: BA Film Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/FSGD)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 4 (BA/FSGER)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 4 (BA/FSI)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 4 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/FSTP)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 3 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/JMS1)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 3 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 3 (BA/MSG)
- P310: BA Media Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/MSGD)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/MSIT)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MSSPIE)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BA/MSTP1)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 3 (BA/PWF)
- W839: BA Professional Writing with Game Design year 3 (BA/PWGD)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 3 (BA/PWM)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 3 (BA/WHFS)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 3 (MARTS/CP)
- P308: MArts Media year 3 (MARTS/MED)
- W891: MArts Professional Writing year 3 (MARTS/PW)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJO)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)