Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Kate Lawrence
The Theatre and Performance: introduction module allows students to encounter and focus practically on some of the key elements and perspectives which contribute to the process of creating and viewing a performance.
From a given starting point (which will be a variety of performance texts) students will explore different aspects of the given material and its contexts, its challenges, and potential for performance. Depending on the text being used, this may involve historical, biographical and other appropriate contextual reading - including, where appropriate, production history, critical reception, and other performance works. The aim of this module is to teach students how to analyse texts from different dramatic traditions.
Students will be expected to explore by means of written presentations and practical workshops the performance styles demanded by these differing texts. They will also be expected to relate this experience to live theatre performance. Students may also explore the performance material from the perspective of performers, designers, directors, technicians and others, analysing the specific demands, opportunities and difficulties raised by the performance texts, and considering the different ways of approaching them.
- What is performance?
- What are all the elements involved in a performance?
- The historical and cultural legacy of selected theatre traditions.
- How selected theatre traditions challenged and enhanced the notion of performance and the theatre.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Good: 50% +.
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Very Good: 60% +.
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Describe, interpret and evaluate performance across a range of occurrences and sites.
Demonstrate a critical awareness of current discussions and debates in the field of theatre and performance and be familiar with the work of a number of innovative movements and practitioners.
Ability to function effectively as a member of a collaborative team in a creative process
Show awareness of the interplay between theory and practice within the area of performance studies and of conceptual and creative processes that underpin the understanding and realization of performance.
Display skills in making performance outcomes, such as directing, acting, producing, etc.
Demonstrate an ability to read and interpret relevant background material and an ability to analyse dramatic texts critically
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||26|
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Awareness of how different social and cultural contexts affect the nature of language and meaning (English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Reflective practitioner skills, including awareness of the practice of others in collaborative learning (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- 32M8: BA English Literature with Theatre and Performance year 1 (BA/ELTP)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 1 (BA/FSTP)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 1 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BA/MSTP1)
- W3W4: BA Music with Theatre & Performance year 1 (BA/MUSTP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 1 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 1 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 1 (BA/CSTSP)
- QWM5: BA Cymraeg, Theatr a'r Cyfryngau year 1 (BA/CTC)
- R1P3: BA French with Media Studies year 1 (BA/FRMS)
- R4P3: BA Spanish with Media Studies year 1 (BA/SPMS)