Stanley Kubrick: Auteur
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Nathan Abrams
The enigmatic Stanley Kubrick was one of the most well-known filmmakers of the twentieth century. Although not prolific, his work was widely admired both by critics and mass audiences. Kubrick’s films also provide a prism through which we can view the major events of the twentieth century including World War One, the Holocaust, the Cold War and the Vietnam War. In doing so, his films offer the opportunity to explore the key themes of science, technology, history, race, violence, gender, ethnicity, sexuality and war.
Topics that will be covered in this module include all of Kubrick’s films, as well as how these intersect with events such as World War One, the Holocaust, the Cold War and the Vietnam War and such issues as science, technology, history, race, violence, gender, ethnicity, sexuality and war.
A- to A* Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways: 1. Has originality of exposition with the student’s own thinking being readily apparent. 2. Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study. 3. Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
C- to B+ Submitted work is competent throughout and may be distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It: 1. Demonstrates good or very good structure and logically developed arguments. 2. Draws at least in parts on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student. 3. Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning. 4. Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
D- to D+ Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows: 1. Generally accurate but with omissions and errors. 2. Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning. 3. Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions. 4. Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Digest, select and organise material and produce a consistent and coherent argument presented in both oral and essay form/practical equivalent to a deadline.
Read a film text, deploying the appropriate critical language;
Comment appropriately on the relationship between film and other issues (science, technology, history, violence, race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality and war) in the work of Stanley Kubrick;
The ability to relate filmic texts to a historical context;
Discuss, in detail, the treatment of these issues in Kubrick’s films;
Identify the key issues and conflicts with which Stanley Kubrick was concerned;
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Seminar Presentation||
In a group, you run one seminar or produce a recorded podcast.
|Written assignment, including essay||Final Assignment||
A written essay or podcast or video essay.
|INDIVIDUAL BLOG||Weekly Blog||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/FSCH)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 2 (BA/FSEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 2 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 2 (BA/FSFR4)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 2 (BA/FSGER)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 2 (BA/FSH)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/FSI)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 2 (BA/HFS)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 2 (BA/PWF)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 2 (BA/WHFS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 2 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/FLMP)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FSCW)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FSIE)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/FSTP)
- P35W: Film Stud with Theatre & Performance with International Exp. year 2 (BA/FSTPIE)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 2 (BA/J)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 2 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/JMS1)
- PP54: BA Journalism & Media Studies with International Experience year 2 (BA/JMSIE)
- PP5P: BA Journalism and Media Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/JMSP)
- WW39: BA Music and Creative Writing with International Experience year 2 (BA/MCWIE)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 2 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSIE)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/MSP)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 2 (MARTS/CP)