Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
40.000 Credyd neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Eben Muse
The dissertation is an independent research project that enables you to explore an idea or topic of personal or professional interest. You take an active and independent role in conducting a period of sustained research that culminates in a critical research report or evidence based essay. The dissertation is an opportunity to demonstrate to yourself and others the skills you have learnt during the course of your degree programme. It is also an opportunity to develop your expertise in in a specialism that you have particularly enjoyed. Students completing a dissertation project develop powers of sustained independent inquiry and enhanced originality and depth of thought while demonstrating the ability to devise, plan and execute a major project.
This module involves the production of an extended piece of critical writing of a length and quality appropriate to the culmination of the undergraduate degree scheme. Drawing on knowledge and critical methodologies learned earlier in the degree, students are assisted via workshops and individual supervisions in devising, refining, developing and presenting a substantial piece of critical work on a topic of their choosing. The series of introductory lectures and workshops focus on how to develop the initial research idea into a workable project presented in appropriate scholarly form. Students develop critical self-reflection via Research Progress Log and via regular discussions with the supervisor.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Good: 50% +
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Very Good: 60% +.
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
The student will have demonstrated an ability to work independently to deadline over a sustained period.
The student will have demonstrated originality and depth of thought
The student will have demonstrated an ability to design and implement a programme of study to investigate an area of enquiry.
The student will have demonstrated an ability to embed a substantial piece of research within an appropriate set of cultural, social, institutional, creative, economic and/or critical frameworks.
The student will have demonstrated an ability to construct an argument and analyse evidence in a relevant manner.
10,000-word evidence-based essay or research report
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Research Progress Log||
Students must maintain a log of activity during the course of the dissertation project, including workshops and dissertation supervisions.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
4 2-hour workshops in semester one on research design and methodology 4 2-hour workshops in semester two on analysis and dissertation writing Additional optional workshops available in School and College
Students meet with their supervisor regularly over the course of their dissertation--at least once each month but normally an average of 15 mins per week with supervisor.
Students work independently over a sustained period of time developing a research topic, selecting a methodology for the research, conducting the research and analysing the findings, and producing a written dissertation reporting on the research and its results.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cydofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 3 (BA/FSH)