Rhedir gan School of Music, Drama and Performance
40 Credyd neu 20 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Guto Puw
- To consider aesthetic, philosophical and musicological issues of relevance to composition, and to explore the implications of these through the act of composing.
- To develop facility in a variety of compositional techniques through the act of composing.
- To encourage bold experimentation and creative innovation in composition work.
- To offer the opportunity to engage in a sustained period of compositional activity leading to a work (or works) of significant duration.
- To contribute to the personal development of student composers through the development of their creativity as individuals.
The composition project is an opportunity for students to spend a sustained period engaged in compositional activity, working towards the production of a work, or works, of significant scale and duration. Students complete a composition or portfolio of compositions for any combination of instruments, voices, electroacoustic and studio resources, with the guidance of a supervisor. Project composers meet regularly as a group to consider broad issues and to share ideas and approaches. Compositions should demonstrate a thorough understanding of their genre, facility in the relevant technical skills, clarity of creative intent, and contemporary cultural relevance in their aesthetic approach. Compositions should be submitted in the form of a notated score, recording or a combination. If the work involves music for moving image, a DVD of music synchronised to picture must also be submitted.
The piece or portfolio should normally be about 22 minutes in duration, by agreement with the supervisor, and depending on the tempo, the complexity of the music and the nature of the instrumental/vocal/electroacoustic resources used. Portfolios may contain a mix of different genres. This module is not appropriate for students wishing to compose in historical or pastiche styles.
The composition displays some limited creative imagination, with restricted control of musical materials, and minimal understanding of the capabilities of resources (instrumental and vocal). There is scant evidence of a generally intellectual approach.
The composition displays a good level of creative imagination, with good control and elaboration of musical materials, based on technical competence in use of resources (instrumental and vocal). There is also evidence of intellectual acumen.
The composition displays a high level of creative imagination, with emergent individuality of compositional voice, skilful control and elaboration of musical materials, and technical mastery of resources (instrumental and vocal). There is also evidence of high level of ability at conceptual thought, penetration of issues, originality of approach and/or insight.
proficiency in a range of relevant compositional techniques.
a good level of confidence in working with the tools and materials of composition
the ability to use balanced self-criticism as part of the creative process
the ability to compose music which offers an engaging and rewarding listening experience
the ability to compose music which takes full account of contemporary creative practice
a good understanding of the practical considerations of performance, including the preperation of performing materials
substantial originality of thought and a good degree of creative independence
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Individual tutorials to a total duration of 8 hours throughout the year. Each student will be assigned a supervisor and must arrange consultations as appropriate. Guidance on length may be found in the Undergraduate Course Handbook which can be found on My BAngor, and the supervisor will also offer advice.
6 seminars of 1 hour each, across the year.
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Technological skills – digital capture, digital expression, digital innovation
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/wxk-3289.html
Scores and recordings are available as necessary from BU Library.
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 3 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 4 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 3 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 3 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 3 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 3 (BMUS/MUS)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 3 (BSC/EEM)