Working with children and young people with severe & profound & multiple learning difficulties
Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Jean Ware
This module explores the implications for development of young infants, children and young people of Severe Learning Difficulties (SLD) and Profound and Multiple Learning Disabilities (PMLD). It introduces students to the particular issues in examining development and learning in children and young people with a range of complex impairments. It examines the links between interactions with caregivers in the early years of life and later development. It investigates the connection between models of typical development and the education and care of children and young people with SLD and PMLD. It explores the concept of evidence-based practice in intervention with children and young people with SLD and PMLDs. It offers students the opportunity to apply concepts, skills and knowledge learned earlier on the course to a particularly challenging area.
The module will focus on how research on and understandings of the factors which influence development inform the education and care of children and young people with SLD and PMLD. Content will include:
• Early Learning and Memory; • Motor development and play; • Development of communication and socialisation; • Issues in facilitating development and learning in children and young people with SLD/ PMLD • Interactions between infants with and without disabilities and their caregivers - implications for the development; • Development of vision and perception; • Medical issues relating to SLD and PMLD; • Issues in researching very early learning and development and SLD and PMLD; • Assessment of children and young people with multiple impairment: insights from research; • The evidence base for popular interventions including issues in evaluating the evidence for interventions; • Theoretical approaches to the education and care of children and young people with SLD and PMLD -
C- i C+
D+ to D: Students show satisfactory knowledge of some literature on assessing and working with children and young people with SLD and PMLD. They show some knowledge of the issues involved in evaluating the effectiveness of an intervention. They provide evidence that they have completed a placement during which they have observed a child or young person with SLD or PMLD on a number of occasions and they make some suggestions as to how an in depth assessment could be carried out, which they link to at least one theoretical perspective.
C+ to B: Students show good knowledge of a range of literature on assessing and working with children and young people with SLD and PMLD, and of different theoretical perspectives. They show sound knowledge of the issues involved in evaluating the effetciveness of an intervention, and use this to critically evaluate one intervention used with people with SLD and/or PMLD. They provide evidence that they have completed a placement during which they have observed a child or young person SLD and PMLD on a number of occasions and that they have conducted their observations systematically. They make suggestions as to how an in depth assessment could be carried out, which they link to theoretical literature. They give a clear rationale for why they have selected the approaches chosen.
A* to A: Students show in depth knowledge of a wide range of literature on assessing and working with children and young people SLD and PMLD and of different theoretical perspectives .They show in depth knowledge of the issues involved in evaluating the effectiveness of an intervention, and use this to critically evaluate one intervention used with people with SLD and/or PMLD, relating their evaluation clearly to the literature and theoretical perspectives. They provide evidence that they have completed a placement during which they have observed a child or young person with SLD and PMLD on a number of occasions, and that they have conducted their observations systematically with and with attention to the need to ensure the validity and reliability of the information collected. They make suggestions for how an in depth assessment could be carried out, which they link to the literature. They give a clear rationale for why they have selected the approaches chosen, and demonstrate that they have critically evaluated different approaches.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of the strengths and limitations of a developmental perspective in relation to the education of learners with SLD and PMLD.
Reflect critically on the challenge of assessing young infants, children and young people with complex impairments.
Demonstrate an understanding of at least one commonly used intervention for children and young people with SLD and PMLD and be able to critically evaluate the strength of the evidence base which supports such interventions.
Demonstrate a critical understanding of developments in policy relevant to children and young people with SLD and PMLD and to critically evaluate how these are likely to affect provision.
Demonstrate knowledge of different theoretical approaches to provision for children and young people with SLD/ PMLD and discuss their strengths and weaknesses
|Critical Evaluation of an Intervention||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private Study (152 hours)
External Visit ( 4 hours)
Lectures, workshops and interactive seminars : 24 hours (16 @ 1.5 hours/week).
Placement : 20 hours (4 weeks @ 5 hours/week).
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- reflect upon a range of psychological sociological health historical and philosophical perspectives and consider how these underpin different understandings of babies and young children and childhood
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- evaluate competing positions in relation to the construction of babies and young children and childhood by different subjects societal agents and time place and culture
- constructively critique theories practice and research in the area of child development
- demonstrate knowledge and awareness of the skills needed for different pedagogical approaches including: - the necessary depth and strength of relationships with individual children and children in groups and the facilitation of the building of relationships with and between children - the formation and promotion of mutually respectful relationships with families colleagues other professionals and communities
- produce critical arguments for improvements to multi-agency and multiprofessional practices for babies and young children
- use skills of observation and analysis in relation to aspects of the lives of babies and young children
- generate and explore hypotheses and research questions relating to early childhood in an ecological context
- carry out empirical studies ethically involving a variety of methods of data collection including observation relating to early childhood in an ecological context
- the underlying values, theories and concepts relevant to education
- the diversity of learners and the complexities of the education process
- the complexity of the interaction between learning and local and global contexts, and the extent to which participants (including learners and teachers) can influence the learning process
- the societal and organisational structures and purposes of educational systems, and the possible implications for learners and the learning process.
- analyse educational concepts, theories and issues of policy in a systematic way
- accommodate new principles and understandings
- select a range of relevant primary and secondary sources, including theoretical and research-based evidence, to extend their knowledge and understanding
- use a range of evidence to formulate appropriate and justified ways forward and potential changes in practice
- the ability to reflect on their own and others' value systems
- an understanding of the significance and limitations of theory and research
- collect and apply numerical data, as appropriate
- present data in a variety of formats including graphical and tabular
- analyse and interpret both qualitative and quantitative data.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students need to find and attend a suitable placement' there is a potential cost in travelling to the placement
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xae-3039.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X314: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid year 3 (BA/API)
- X316: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymdeithaseg year 3 (BA/APIC)
- X318: BA Astudiaeth Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Pholisi Cymdeithasol year 3 (BA/APIPC)
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 3 (BA/APIS)
- X321: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymraeg year 3 (BA/PIC)