Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
30 Credyd neu 15 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Steffan Thomas
At the end of this module, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of key terms and concepts across 20th and 21st century critical theory.
- Demonstrate an advanced ability to apply a number of methodological frames to media and other cultural forms.
- Demonstrate an advanced capacity to assess the scope and limits of each method.
- Demonstrate an advanced ability to clarify and refine individual positions as critics, theorists and creative practitioners.
- Demonstrate an ability to make an independent and sophisticated contribution to the study of media and other cultural artefacts.
The purpose of this module is to prepare you to design, plan and complete a major research project (practice-based or empirical). We will begin by working to create a research space by identifying the area of interest and our own means of access into that area. You will engage with all aspects of the research process: identifying a research paradigm, selecting a qualitative or quantitative approach and methodological strategy, constructing research questions, collecting and analysing data. You will have the opportunity to assess research quality and to develop informed opinions regarding the ethics and politics that surround any research project. In addition to weekly seminar sessions, a variety of workshops on specific research skills will be provided each week. During the module you will develop a research proposal presenting your project methodology, background, and design; you will present this proposal in poster form at a half-day poster symposium in the School, and revise the proposal based on the tools you gain from the module.
C/50% Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence . Evidence of knowledge and understanding of key concepts is limited and weak. . Evidence of awareness of relevant critical issues is limited. . Literature base is insufficient and/ or insufficiently current. . Over use of unsubstantiated generalised assumptions. . Evidence of analytical and critical thinking is weak and lacks depth. . Literature used superficially. . Ability to apply theory to practice is limited and weak. . The writing tends to be disjointed and lacking in structure.
B/60% Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. . Evidence of a good level of critical understanding of main concepts. . Evidence of good understanding of relevant critical issues. The writing is contextualised within recent research/ professional literature. . Strong ability to apply theory to practice. . The writing has a clear logical/systematic structure. Good (C) Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. . Evidence of knowledge and understanding of key concepts is sufficiently sound. . Awareness of relevant critical issues is sound. . Literature base is sufficient, current and appropriate. . The literature base is used to inform awareness of relevant issues. . Adequate evidence of ability to apply theory to practice. . The writing has structure, coherence and flow but may be lacking in consistency and rigour.
A/70% All unit learning outcomes achieved at an excellent/outstanding level . Evidence of deep knowledge and insightful understanding of key concepts and problems/issues at the forefront of the area in terms of academic and professional knowledge and understanding. . Fluency and confidence in use of the literature and current thinking/ research/professional literature. . Presents counter arguments; identifies key issues/problems and justifies conclusion. . Excellent ability to apply theory and practice, with insight, rigour and consistency. . Insightful observations into standard and unpredictable situations. . The writing is fluent coherent, well-structured and reads well
- Demonstrate an advanced and critical understanding of current research methodologies and issues in creative studies and media, and the ways in which these approaches relate to individual research plans
- Effectively use a variety of resources available for research in creative studies and media
- Understand the differences between quantitative and qualitative research methods as related to creative studies and media
- Correctly deploy academic conventions relating to citations and bibliographical information in the writing up of research
- Articulate and substantiate, both verbally and in written form, the aims and methods of the student’s own research approaches and plans
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Identify and attend workshops provided by the School, College and University on specific areas of research development.
Individual tutorial sessions with project supervisors
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.