Professional Marketing Skills
Professional Marketing Skills 2023-24
Bangor Business School
Module - Semester 1
The module is based around a series of tutorials where students are introduced to generic academic and professional skills and apply them in the context of Marketing. The academic skills will include the sourcing of information for research (including library, databases and search engines); the use and interpretation of evidence (including quotation, citation and plagiarism); essay and report preparation and writing (including the development of academic argument); oral presentation; and group work. Professional Marketing skills include career awareness, CV preparation, developing social media profiles, teamwork, idea generation and personal and professional development planning.
-threshold -D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. -good -B- to B+ (60-69%): Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills. -excellent -A- to A (70% +):* Outstanding performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills. -another level-C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
- Demonstrate an awareness of career opportunities and professional marketing career development skills.
- Demonstrate teamwork skills by working on specific marketing problems in groups.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and source materials relevant to particular marketing issues and to appraise their provenance and limitations.
- Demonstrate the ability to write well-structured essays, with a logical line of argument, drawing upon appropriate evidence from robust sources.
- Present ideas clearly and confidently in oral form.
- Summarise academic and practitioner sources in the field of marketing.
10 minute individual presentation prepared on one of two marketing topics provided.
Logbook Or Portfolio
The portfolio will contain work completed throughout the entire module and will include an essay plan, essay, group report, case studies, academic article summary and a CV.